a freaky fish T or F ????????

kudzumotorsports

I was talking to a family member this week while I was home for christmas and we were talking about fishing. He is now living in arkansas. We were talking about weird fish and he come up with this fish he said locals there call a brinnel or brindle fish.? He said the fish has a human like skull with recessed eyes and the skull is hard as a rock. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

raghorn

kudzumotorsports said:
I was talking to a family member this week while I was home for christmas and we were talking about fishing. He is now living in arkansas. We were talking about weird fish and he come up with this fish he said locals there call a brinnel or brindle fish.? He said the fish has a human like skull with recessed eyes and the skull is hard as a rock. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?
It's called grinnel locally in southern Arkansas.It's actually a bowfin and they are quite common there.My sister and her husband lived there years ago and we used to catch them in gill nets,netting was legal there.Some people call them mudfisf also. They are quite ugly,almost prehistoric looking.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Mudfish aka "poor man's bass"

We use to get the dead shiners from a bait shop and use them to catch mudfish in the St. Johns river around Christmas, Florida. Lot of fun on 6 lb test line.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They are prehistoric. And have more aliases than a crook-grinnel, grindle, grinner, cypress trout, black fish, mud fish, lake lawyer, and some names that can`t be said in the company of Ladies or younguns.

robertyb

Here one is:

Shedd_Bowfin.gif

Dogbite

I had a small one in a fish tank one time. I fed it smaller fish, and one day it ate too many fish and died. It was very aggressive, and I would love to catch a 3 or 4 pounder..

johnh

The Okeefanokee (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) swamp has guides especially for Bowfin/Mudfish. They fight like pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie but they are disgusting. The only thing I'd like to catch less than a Bowfin is one of those snakeheads.

doe shooter

I have a recipe for the maligned Bowfin or Mudfish. You take a cedar plank, the length of the fish, coat it with butter or lard, salt and pepper, lay the cleaned fish on the board.(You can salt and pepper the fish too). Bake it in the over at 325 degrees for approximatley 25 minutes per pound of fish. When it is white and flaky, it is done. Pull it out, toss the fish and eat the board.

RBBTBONE

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: thats a good one the plank probably would taste better too i know it looks better. those ugly mugs are up here heading north too lake horton has a healthy supply,there is nothing those things wont eat . one was on the bank of the river when i was a teenager,ah those were the days. i stuck a bare hook in front of his mouth and the dag thang sucked it up:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
At boat landings around the Okeefenokee Swamp, there was always a bunch of semi-wild piney woods rooters hanging back waiting for incoming fishermen to toss to them the mudfish catch of the day. They could devour a large fish inseconds without regards to bones.

A man who owned (or claimed) some of the hogs told me one time that come hog killing time, he would usually render 50 pounds of lard and 5 gallons of cod liver oil.

drenalin08

doe shooter said:
I have a recipe for the maligned Bowfin or Mudfish. You take a cedar plank, the length of the fish, coat it with butter or lard, salt and pepper, lay the cleaned fish on the board.(You can salt and pepper the fish too). Bake it in the over at 325 degrees for approximatley 25 minutes per pound of fish. When it is white and flaky, it is done. Pull it out, toss the fish and eat the board.
thats the funniest thing i've read in awhile,:banana:

Hunting Teacher

nicodemus said:
They are prehistoric. And have more aliases than a crook-grinnel, grindle, grinner, cypress trout, black fish, mud fish, lake lawyer, and some names that can`t be said in the company of Ladies or younguns.
That's for sure. Here in Florida they are a dime a dozen and are especially fond of dollar a piece large live shiners!!:shoot:
Truth be told though they're fighting ability puts a large mouth to shame.Not that that's hard.
Sorry if I offended you "Hawg Hunters" but the truth's the truth.;)
Teach

Dawg In the Swamp

That just don't sound to appetizing.

Lostoutlaw

switchback said:
thats the funniest thing i've read in awhile,:banana:

Yeppers that is for me Too eat the board:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: