A question

CAL

Can a person be a Christian and not attend church?What is everyone's thoughts on this subject?

ronpasley

Can a person be a Christian and not attend church?

Yes

What is everyone's thoughts on this subject?

Does going to church make a person a Christian?
I go to church when I can but due to my work schedule I miss church a lot. But I do hungry to be at church I love being with a group of people that are worshipping and praising the Lord.

Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Everytime I get on this site I'm at church with my brothers and sisters

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Can a person be a Christian and NOT want to attend church??

I don't see how.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Can a person be a Christian and not attend church?What is everyone's thoughts on this subject?

Yes they can be a Christian.

Attending a church or church means that someone attended a church service as does not necessarily make them a Christian.

tomtlb66

This is just me here, I need church, I love fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I love mens group as well. I am not that mature yet in my walk with the Lord and when I miss church, the old man inside makes a strong attempt to come back.

Can a person be a christian and not attend church, I believe they can, but what a battle it would be to hang on. Just my opinion.

StriperAddict

Everytime I get on this site I'm at church with my brothers and sisters

I feel the same way. The truth is, where ever we are, the 'church' is there. Belonging to Christ makes us a member of "the Church", not as in some building (the believer is the "building of the Lord"), and not even as those who trust in some form of religious identity with a certain denomination's charter or rules (yuck!), however 'biblical' it may be.

A while back someone really got on a brother here for not saying what building/ church/ denomination he was a part of. I hope this thread doesn't go down that route again.

We need to agree with our Lord over the prayer in John 17.
It is only because we are one (body) in Christ that the world will see and get "the message".

John 17:21
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Lowjack

I know Thousands who do not attend Church anymore due to the Different gospels and cult like teachings found across all denominations, yes I believe these people are as saved as anyone else for whom Christ died.
Besides going to church is a works, The gospel is not accept Christ and go to church and you will be saved, IMO.

I love how Christ taught, he would go all over and teach, having a relationship with the Father was his main theme, he never asked anyone to lift their hand if they believe what he said, he never asked anyone to go to the synagogue and worship, he simply asked people to believe in him and the Father, beautiful simplicity.
Conversion is in the heart and the church is us.

jason4445

I had a first cousin who was a born againer as a middle teen. After college he quit going to church, but let no opportunity pass at occasional family gathering to tell how he was going to heaven.. After about ten years of listening I asked if he was so religious why did he not go to church. He said all they ever do is tell me the same thing over and over. I go to church and they tell me I am a sinner. He said he agreed with that - he was definitely a sinner. By his unlimited ability to consume alcohol and act accordingly I can attest to the sinner part.

Then he said they tell me if I am saved and believe in Jesus I will go to heaven. He said he is indeed saved, and washed by the blood and surely is heaven bound. Then he added - now what else are they going to tell me.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?

my thoughts=
if one beleives jesus christ is the son of god, died for our sins, and rose again and you are proud to follow in his ways and love it.......you are a christian.

i am a christian. i do not go to church all the time....but when i do....i listen close to the gosple and it gives me streanth. i love it!
however! i am of god, and i am a christian whether i go to church or not.
my thoughts are my feelings. please disagree and tell me why..... all you want.:cool:

christianhunter

I feel the same way. The truth is, where ever we are, the 'church' is there. Belonging to Christ makes us a member of "the Church", not as in some building (the believer is the "building of the Lord"), and not even as those who trust in some form of religious identity with a certain denomination's charter or rules (yuck!), however 'biblical' it may be.

A while back someone really got on a brother here for not saying what building/ church/ denomination he was a part of. I hope this thread doesn't go down that route again.

We need to agree with our Lord over the prayer in John 17.
It is only because we are one (body) in Christ that the world will see and get "the message".

John 17:21
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

If I were to answer,it would be just as this one.Amen Brother!

crackerdave

This is just me here, I need church, I love fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I love mens group as well. I am not that mature yet in my walk with the Lord and when I miss church, the old man inside makes a strong attempt to come back.

Can a person be a christian and not attend church, I believe they can, but what a battle it would be to hang on. Just my opinion.

I agree.

Jesus walked this earth with no "church home," did He not? He taught in the temple when the time was right.

Hebrews does tell us not to forsake the gathering together of ourselves,but I don't think the word "church" is in there. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying "don't go to church," just that I think wherever two or more are gathered in Jesus' name can be a church, as my Ron-brother said.

Fellowship with other,more "mature" Christians is vitally important for a new believer - wherever that may occur.The fact that I neglected to "plug in" to a discipling church after I was saved at 21 sent me down a very hard road.By the grace of God,I survived that,and I consider warning others about that mistake to be part of my duty as a believer.

Gabassmaster

to me what makes a christian is even when you sin you feel guilty for it and if you are a christian you should want to go and if you dont you should probably feel bad for not.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

Fellowship with other,more "mature" Christians is vitally important for a new believer - wherever that may occur.The fact that I neglected to "plug in" to a discipling church after I was saved at 21 sent me down a very hard road.By the grace of God,I survived that,and I consider warning others about that mistake to be part of my duty as a believer.

I agree and I would add that this old believer considers it vital to nuturing my relationship with Jesus and my fellow man.I just don't believe it is possible to 'go it alone' in my relationship with Jesus and be successful.

Without it, I would just go hunting and never really get the fullness of my relationship with the Lord.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Being a Christian that purposely choses to not associate with a family of other Christians for the pupose of growth, fellowship, conducting work of the church, praying together, taking the Lord's supper on the Lord's day, is completely foreign to establishment of the physical church upon the earth.

It would be as being a lifeguard but hating the water.

Being in church won't save you, but refusing church speaks volume about you.

1Cor 11:18 For first of all, when you come together as a church

Lowjack

So what happens if you can't find a church that is teaching Bible based doctrines ?
Isn't that also taught, not to gather with such ?

Crubear

As I understand it, Jesus said where two or three gather in my name I am there. This works for me.

You become part of a gathering, or "Church" to be taught, held accountable, hold accountable, uplift, pray for, and otherwise support each other. An accountability group of some type I feel is necessary to continue to grow and not lose my way.

I choose to do this in a "Regular" church, you don't have to. We live in the United States of America.

Church is supposed to be a factory of Christians, not a warehouse for

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
So what happens if you can't find a church that is teaching Bible based doctrines ?

Well, lets see, I remember that there were some serious problem at the church in Corinth, but I don't recall anyone suggesting that one stop going.
Or for that matter, there's no record of an unhappy Christian in Corinth switching to the church in Ephesus because it was more to their liking.

Ofcourse there are issues from time to time for a disciple to deal with, but there is no Biblical evidence of any suggestion that a child of God would ignore the things of the synagogue or the church assembly.

The physical church is a reality.
It has pastors, and deacons, and elders.

1gr8bldr

My problem these days

whome

Being a Christian that purposely choses to not associate with a family of other Christians for the pupose of growth, fellowship, conducting work of the church, praying together, taking the Lord's supper on the Lord's day, is completely foreign to establishment of the physical church upon the earth.

It would be as being a lifeguard but hating the water.

Being in church won't save you, but refusing church speaks volume about you.

1Cor 11:18 For first of all, when you come together as a church

Good stuff Ronnie.

Question is "Why wouldn't you want to go to church?"

I've heard this said recently, and maybe some of you have as well... "Going to church no more make you a christian than standing in a garage makes you a car." I think there is some truth to that. However, coming together to fellowship one with another is important to your and mine spiritual health and well being. Renewing, cleansing, being around people who are like minded spiritually. I think it's important to note that you not only do this for yourself, but for your brothers and sisters in Christ. To build THEM up also. It's not necessarily about "getting" anything from going to church, it's what your able to "give" others.

However, in this day in time it can seem difficult to "give" anything when you feel like you should be buying a ticket to a dog and pony show. If I wanted to see a show, I'd go to a circus.