A really BAD day!

Catfish369

Headed into the woods this morning, it was a beautiful day......until it happened.

As soon as I closed the truck door I could hear turkeys in the distance, and it brought a smile to my face.

I was heading into the woods with my bow, I decided to take a little detour to a flatter entrance just a few steps further that I would normally enter from....this due to the heavy rain we recetly had and the small creek bed where I normally enter from having standing water in it.

As I stopped to clear a thorn vine from my legs I felt a sudden burning sensation on my right hand. I looded down at it and saw something there...."a bug" I thought. I shook my hand and it was gone. I reached for the vine again and felt another burning sensation on my right hand again. I looked more closly this time...it was a Yellow Jacket...it had stung me and curled into a ball and was hanging on for dear life. I again shook my hand but it wouldn't let go...the burning was worsening. I stood there and as I was reaching my other hand over I felt the same burning there as well.......Another Yellow Jacket. I slowly began to look at my arms and the front of my body and I was COVERED in them. Probably 50 on my arms from the elbows down alone. Apparently, I had "disturbed" a nest. I took off running for about 40 yards and called out to my brother, who was only a few yards ahead of me. He came towards me and all I could say was "Get 'em off of me!"....as the stinging continued. At this point I felt a sting inside on my pant-leg...way up on my upper thigh in front, then another in the back of my thigh. My brother started swatting the bees off of me with his hat when we both saw more coming from the area where I had disturbed them at....and we were about 40 yards or so away already. We BOTH ran this time, about another 30 or so yards this time and he began helping get the balled-up, stinging bees off of me. He got stung 3 times in the process of helping me....twice on his right hand and once right on the end of his nose. Me, I received 5 stings on my right hand, 4 on my left hand, 2 on my neck, 1 on my right forearm, 1 on my upper left thigh in the front, and 1 more on the back of the same thigh. This was NOT my best morning hunt.

We continued on into the woods, although I will admit I was getting a little concerned over getting stung so many times. As the morning progressed, my hands began to swell and felt "tight".

At about 9:30 I spotted 2 small does cpming from my right so I twisted and was getting ready for a possible shot. As I was attenpting to get my release aid ready, my fingers would not do what I wanted then to do...from the swelling. Now I was getting really worried but forced myself to calm down. The does walked by without ever knowing I was there and I then got down the tree, and packed up my climber. I headed back to the main trail and my brother was already there waiting on me. His nose was swollen and he said it was making his eyes water so he was ready to leave also.

Just driving back to his house was a pain, simply holding on to the steering wheel. My right hand was swollen to the point that my skin was becoming stretched and dry, flakey looking. I took 50mg's of Bynadryl and it helped a little. I got home and soaked in a hot baking soda bath for about an hour and had some lunch, seriously considering if I was going into that area again this season....maybe when the cooler weather gets here.

What struck me as weird about all of this is the following....

1) I have never had such a sever reaction to a bee sting before. Now I'll be worried every time I'm outside for awhile.

2) These bees were not like normal Yellow Jackets. The didn't lose their stingers. They stung more than one time in each little area. Also, they were very dark colored bees. The yellow bands on them were almost muted by the dark ones, and they were small bees as well......young ones perhaps??

and
3) I have never had normal Yellow Jackets chase me over that distance before. Maybe they were just really sensitive and/or mad due to the recent rain we've had, I don't know.

I took a little nap and am feeling some better now. My hands are still pretty swollen and ache like fire, but the worst is over and now I need to concentrate on more important matters....a new place to hunt next weekend.

Just wanted to share. Watch out for those Yellow Jackets!!!!

Last edited:

Woody's Janitor

That is a bad day. I thought I had one in not seeing any deer after a 11/2 hour drive but I consider myself lucky now. I'm sorry you had to experience that and it is something that can happen to us all. Get better and get bach to hunting.

roadkill

Sorry to hear of your bad day. I believe I'd be back out there one night with a good dose of some yellow jacket tonic. Usually found at your local convenience store. Works good in your car and lawnmower too. About a pint is all it takes. :bounce:

Handgunner

Yep, that's a bad day for sure. Glad you're ok though. Most people would not be here telling the story if they were in your situation.

I'd go back, but it would be with gasoline and a match. :D

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I got stung by one dove hunting opening weekend. It hit me on the forehead. This one hurt bad enough, but more than 1 had to feel horrible.

BTW: If you use the gas and burn method, make sure you don't set the whole woods on fire.

dbodkin

Man nasty... Hope you are on the mend.... dont take chances you can develope an allergic reaction at anytime.....

Muygrande

Got-O-Mighty!!!! I hope you're on some serious antihistamine's!!! If two stung me I'd be hospital bound!!! I've always been real nervous about bees. I'd rather play with snakes and the only good one of them is a dead one!! Man, I hope you feel better!! :(

Jeff Raines

Man,sorry to hear about your bad day.Things to remember with yellowjackets are when they sting you a pheromone is released so the other jackets can home in on you and a jacket can sting you over and over,it doesn't have a barb on the stinger.

Honey bees sting only in defense,they have a barb.But a yellowjacket uses it's stinger kill it's food.That's why his stinger doesn't have a barb

Ga-Spur

Well it took a pretty good man to go on and put his stand up and climb up that tree. Oh by the way you don't have to strike the match at all;but the hardware store or Wal-Mart has something better that you can spray from a distance.

Al33

WOW and OW!

That was definitely a BAD day, just glad you are able to tell us about it. Had I been stung that many times it would have meant a quick visit to the nearest ER.

Hope all is well soon Catfish!

Al

Catfish369

Thanks for the kind words everyone....Feeling lots better today, and even thinking about hitting the woods again tomorrow morning. I don't mind saying that I was more then just a "bit worried" yesterday, but the swelling is almost gone now and the arthritic pain that I had is almost gone too, though it still hurts to make a tightly clenched fist with my right hand. Even took a couple practice shots with my bow in the backyard a little while ago to see if I could use the release again....All seems to be working ok.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Just my .02$ as an ER RN of 10yrs--allergic reactions tend to increase with each exposure so the next sting you get might be a very serious situation especially if you are a long distance from a local hospitals ER--my suggestion is to see your MD and ask about an RX for a" EPI pen" which is a device that you use to give yourself a dose of epinepherine to stop an allergic reaction might save your life if you have a bad reaction to another sting eddy

gabowman

Catfish,

Sorry to hear about you and those bees but I wished you'd had posted this one yesterday. Around mid day today I was checking out a spot I have looked at a few times already and when walking in I noticed a yellow jacket nest in the ground. Giving it plenty of room walking around it I was popped on the wrist and immediately took off running, climber on my back and all. I had to knock the bee off my wrist cause he definitely wasnt letting go either. On my way out of those woods I did alot of flagging with orange ribbon around that nest site so I dont make that mistake of walking too close again. Hope everything goes well with you guy.

GB

CAL

That is a very bad day.It would have been more than that for me.I have experienced a reaction from a sting.Ears closed up,throat swelled,and itched all over.I keep benadryl with me at all times.I would listen to Eddy,better safe than sorry!Hope you have no more problems !

How2fish

Man glad to hear your OK, I had a buddy who was darn near killed like that a couple of years ago....