A week in SW Georgia

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Good stuff! For being so overpopulated it sure is hard to get permission to hunt them though.......02

You have to build relationships. It helps to know someone who knows the farmers or someone who has hunted on the property and in good standing with them.

Once you get in, if you get in, the most important thing is respect. You have to respect the farmers, land and everything on it. Ask if you can help them on the farm. I've helped fix irrigation systems, picked roots up out of a new field, Got a lawnmower back running, clean culvert pipes and spillways, cut trees out of the roads, ect. You get the point. It's not always about killing pigs for them. They need to see some of your character first, after all, they have more money invested in cows and equipment than any pig damage can compare. Not to mention the majority of them insure their crops.

They dont want a bunch of wild heathens comin on their property shootin up irrigation pipes, equipment or livestock just to take a few porkers out.

Also, a lot of them contract pig eradication. They don't always know when those guys will be there. For example, I seen a pack of 30 just on the other side of the fence from the property I hunt. There wasn't a darn thing I could do but watch em in hopes of them comin over to me as the farmer next door had already paid a contractor to keep an eye on his property via drone. I told the farmers that I hunt for, They will tell their neighbor and I may get the go ahead to take em out next time I'm down or I may not.:shoot:

kinross

What type of optic are you running on your AR. We are going to give them a hit in Burke County this weekend with the thermal and and the new DPMS 308

Pig Predator

What type of optic are you running on your AR. We are going to give them a hit in Burke County this weekend with the thermal and and the new DPMS 308

Its a pulsar rxq30v and a dpms G2 hunter in .308 with 20" stainless barrel. I spent the extra $100 on the qd mount so I can spot with the thermal then slip it on the rifle to stalk. I've had it on and off over a hundred times and it still holds zero. Only bad thing about the thermal imo is no video which wasn't a deal breaker for me but wish I had it on a couple of those shots. Nothing like seein a pig runnin full speed and just burying their nose in the ground and roll head over hoof.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Nothing like seein a pig runnin full speed and just burying their nose in the ground and roll head over hoof.

for me it's more like watching their chin slide on the ground a few feet and when the front momentum slows enough the rear end is still hauling tail and comes over the top with a nice arch then a big thud when they land :bounce:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Place an ad in your newspaper telling farmers you will control their hog problem free. Be surprised, but some will call ya.
I have farmers who have just heard about me, call and ask me to come hunt their hogs. Probably some due to my newspaper column where i often mention taking hogs of our hunting properties.

Pig Predator

for me it's more like watching their chin slide on the ground a few feet and when the front momentum slows enough the rear end is still hauling tail and comes over the top with a nice arch then a big thud when they land :bounce:

Same:D

kinross

How clear is the thermal at 150 yards. Could you shoot out to say 200 yards. For less than 2 grand this could be a good option. What is your overall take on it

Pig Predator

I'm in Union county, if you would like to drive up and check it out for yourself, PM me. I haven't shot anything out past 100 yds yet but you can identify very easily at 200+ and there is a picture in picture zoom that I havent used also.

kinross

I'm in Union county, if you would like to drive up and check it out for yourself, PM me. I haven't shot anything out past 100 yds yet but you can identify very easily at 200+ and there is a picture in picture zoom that I havent used also.
Thanks for the offer

patton72

Heading to Oscilla end of month for piggies. Hope they have the peanuts planted. went January and the pigs were digging up remaining peanuts left in the ground. Killed 3 bigens.

Pig Predator

Heading to Oscilla end of month for piggies. Hope they have the peanuts planted. went January and the pigs were digging up remaining peanuts left in the ground. Killed 3 bigens.
They will have the peanuts planted or should have been done by the end of may.

Barebowyer

Thanks for the info Pigpredator. I have great relationships with the farmers in my area and in fact, am the only one with permission to hunt on some due to the respect I show, etc. I was raised right and treat them very well. However, none of the farms I hunt have a steady population of hogs in my area. That is the case in regards to me...

patton72

Didn't get to go on my hog trip this weekend. All but 3 of us backed out. They were complaining about its going to be too hot. Not that hot at night. They are sissy girls.

Pig Predator

That stinks. It really isn't that hot at night. I was down last week and didn't kill but two in 4 nights out. Plenty of deer though. I actually seen a deer chase off a hog. I don't know if the moon was too bright, I couldn't get on their schedule or what?