AAR:GA gator hunt

munchie3409

I must start off by saying that this is the hardest hunt I've ever done. This was a 43 hour journey from start to finish.

I started out leaving my house at 5AM on Saturday the 1st of September. I picked up my friend in Coatesville and headed to GA for my very first gator hunt. In GA it's a lottery/points system and this is my 9th year applying in GA. I wagered 4 points and I selected zone 8, which is in the Savannah, GA area. I picked this because I was station at Ft Stewart. It was closer than my guide's place because I didn't want us to have to drive so far, so Savannah was my choice.

My friend and I hit some serious I-95 traffic around Richmond, VA, but we made excellent time on the road. By the time we got to our hotel, we were both very tired as both of us did not get much sleep the night before we left. My friend was able to take a power nap, but I was not able to fall asleep. We met our guide Gary Frye (great guide, but an even better person) at the launch ramp before 8PM. He had a GA game commission officer there, since we were out of state hunters. They told us there was a 13' gator in the waters where I was hunting, so that got me pumped as anything over 13' may be a state record gator.

All three of us get on the boat and we are on the Ogeechee River in GA. I was surprised how I didn't feel that it was very humid out and the bugs weren't bad. I was stationed close to this area, and I remembered how humid it was and how bad the bugs were, so this was a nice surprise. We must have seen 20 gators the entire night.

Even though we saw a bunch of gators in the water, they would go under the water and we didn't get close enough for me to shoot them with the crossbow. Gary uses some heavy, deep penetrating broadheads designed for gator hunting. He uses a CenterPoint crossbow with a green laser attached, so he can see where you are aiming on the gator.

About an hour into the hunt, I started to get a headache and my stomach didn't feel right. I started to throw up my dinner and felt terrible. I lost count of how much I threw up on the boat. There were times I couldn't keep my eyes open and I had a blurred vision. and every 45 minutes would go buy I'd start throwing up again.

I never felt this bad on any hunt. Several times during the hunt, I really felt like quitting and I nearly told my friend and guide that I'm throwing in the towel. In my mind I was thinking how much time and effort I put into this hunt and yet I wanted to quit because of how sick I was on that boat.

I am not a seasoned boater, but two years ago, I hunted wild hogs in FL from an airboat and I didn't get sick once, so I figured I would be fine hunting the gators. I don't know what caused my sickness, but I felt horrible. If I had to guess, I'd say it was due to being very tired for not sleeping and the long drive from PA to GA. I also thought it could have been motion sickness as well.

Around 11:30PM, we finally got on a gator and Gary thought it was over 7' and at this point I just wanted to get this hunt over with. Gary said he's had clients that missed with the crossbow 4-5 times, so he thought I'd miss too. I don't blame him for thinking this since I was sick.

I shot the gator with the crossbow and the shot landed to the left of it's spinal cord. The shot didn't kill the gator, but it was a solid hit that anchored the bolt my gator. My gator started to go under the water and he was down there for a few minutes. I finally got my first look at my gator. He was about four inches from the surface of the water. I took out my Polymer 80 9mm pistol and shot my gator.

I wanted to use my Polymer 80 as this was my first pistol that I put together from the ground up. I thought it would be a cool way to get a "body" from this pistol. I used Sig V Crown 124gr HP.

Pistol build:
Brownell's RMR cut slide
OEM Glock slide and frame parts.
Polymer 80 PF940C Gray lower
BCA G19 threaded barrel
Trijicon dual illuminated RMR

My friend Erich, made a video of the shoot, so I was very happy as I didn't care at the time I shot my gator. I just wanted with be done with the night. I am thankful that Erich was able to capture that moment for me.

When my guide Gary brought the gator onto the boat, I thought the gator was only 6', but I was so out of it I didn't even care. We met my guide at his place the next morning to skin it and get the meat. Normally, Gary would do it right away, but he new I wasn't feeling well, so he suggested I went back to my hotel room and get some sleep. When we got to Gary's place, I was pleasantly surprised that my gator was 8' long. He only weighed 175lbs, but that was good enough for me.

I only got 4.5 hours of sleep that night, but when I woke up on Sunday morning at 6AM, I felt like a new man. My entire outlook went from not wanting to finish the hunt to...I'm so glad I gutted it out and finished.

I know some folks would not consider an 8' gator a trophy, when there was a 13' gator in the same waters, but I'll tell you what...this is my best trophy. It took all I had mentally/physically to finish this hunt. I will never forget this hunt as it was 9 years in the making. I spent a lot of time to get to this hunt and not to mention the money it cost to fund this hunt.

I will be going back to get another gator with Gary. My next one will be bigger and what I learned from this hunt will be applied to my next hunt. My friend that came with me, will start applying for points and I'm going to apply for points for my daughter. I believe one must be 14 years old to hunt gators in GA, so she will have 4 points by the time she turns 14. I have 4 points, so I could go anytime, but I'll wait as I'm happy with this hunt.

AAR: Things I would do differently:

1) Next time I go, I will add another day, so I can get to GA a day ahead of the hunt. That way I can rest up the day leading into the night hunt.

2) Bring some motion sickness pills JIC (just in case) and take them before I get on the water.

Things that worked on the hunt:

1) Bring a friend along to help with the driving-was also good to share the experience as Erich had a completely different perspective than I did during the hunt. He was not sick and saw everything and was able to video the shot. Going on a hunt and not being able to share the memory is not as fun, IMO. I am greatful to Erich for coming along on this trip with me.

2) Before the hunt, make sure you research and bring along items that will help your hunt. I didn't bring a ton of junk, but almost everything that I brought, I used.

3) Make sure you bring enough coolers as it's not just the meat you are going to bring back. It's the hide and the head and you will need plenty of ice.

4) If you ever are considering doing a gator hunt, start applying for the points in GA. GA only issues out 1,000 tags per year, but if you have 4 points or more, you should be able to get the zone that you want to hunt. It does not cost anything to apply for the points, so no reason not to apply for the points.

5) Never give up...no matter how sick you are...gut it out and get that gator. If I would have given up and went back to the hotel room...I would have been disappointed in myself for not trying to get that gator that I worked so hard just to get.

Conclusion:

I'm very happy with my first gator hunt and it won't be my last gator hunt. I am going to get a skull mount done. I also had the hide cut up, where I can get items made from the skin. I'm talking to my wife about doing a purse/wallet for her. The gator claws, I'm going to make a necklace for my daughter. The meat, I gave some of it to Erich and I'll give some to my friends and family. Of course I'll keep some of the meat as well.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...z1lHBcGx8ciMAh
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...e6nqdfnd2ua7pk
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ZcpuBpyksBSN43

LonePine

Glad that you stuck it out and congrats on the Lizard. I used Gary 2 years ago for my gator and agree that he is top notch.

Choctaw Bingo

Y'all must've been the other boat we saw out that night. My wife got a 9'8" just before y'all got yours. I heard your shot as we were trying to get hers in the boat. Congrats on the gator.