About hammock camping...

Artfuldodger

I remember one night, while in my hammock, in a really hard thunderstorm. I looked down under me and my hammock and saw a river under me. I was glad I wasn't down there.
To each his own though. I find my hammock better on my back than a pad or cot. I can sit in my hammock and cook in the rain under my tarp. I did have a tent once with a vestibule that I could cook under in the rain.

I'd still rather be stuck in my hammock under a rainfly than in a tent during the rain.

Last edited:

Stayalife

I have one hammock, I've found it some time ago, while reading lots of reviews in the internet. I think, you should do the same things, because there are so many options on websites. You may search for an appropriate hammock, for example, here and choose something for yourself, because many options are pretty similar and we can't say you for sure which one will be perfect for you.

deast1988

I went blackbird XLC with underQuilt

NCMTNHunter

My brother ditched tents for a hammock a couple years ago. He puts his inflatable sleeping pad in the hammock and says it is way better than just the hammock. it spreads the hammock out and doesn't wrap you up quite as bad. I'm still afraid of change and sticking with my tent.

I have the eno single nest. I enjoy how fast and light the setup is. On my overnight trips setting cat lines, its nice to be able to catch a comfortable nap when a full out camping kit really isn't called for.

JessFlove

My family and I just love camping. On sunny days, we always take the hammocks with us, because it's the best way to relax. In the beginning, I just didn't know how to chose the one that is best for me. For this reason, I've found a nice guide https://www.thefoothammock.com/rope-hammocks/ that helped me a lot. Here is a list with the best hammocks and their reviews with advantages and drawbacks. More than that, the link to the shop is directly attached, so you can easily turn to the product itself. It's really conveninet. I hope it will help you as well!

Artfuldodger

Here is our setup at Panther Creek a few years ago using Warbonnet Superflys.

Attachments

• IMG_20171015_095558790.jpg
    IMG_20171015_095558790.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 29

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
With all due respect, you didn't do it right. I've been down to the teens and toasty warm, and I am a cold sleeper. Also, I do not sleep on the ground and sleep in a hammock precisely because it is easier on the back, in my case anyway. Got to have the right equipment and know how to use it, though, and I can say that because I was green not so long ago.
With all due respect, with a tent and a sleeping pad, you don't have to spend years of learning curve and fiddling and buying all kinds of gadgets, equipment, and knowledge to sleep comfortably. About five minutes, and you're ready for bed. :)

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
What couple of times I tried it, it about crippled me. Hard on the back. Also cold as the dickens when the weather isn't warm. Give me a tent, a pad and a sleeping bag any day over a bear burrito. Bears love food hanging in a tube on a tree. :)

And I can pitch a tent in much less time than most folks spend screwing around with and adjusting a hammock.
I can confirm your claim as to hammocks being cold with first hand experience.