AC not working.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there are several supply houses around here that I can buy a capacitor from, and I don't have a license.

Artfuldodger

You could buy the cap and try first. I don't think they cost that much. You could have spinned the fan blade the wrong way or after it clicked off on overload.
This being that your compressor at least came on. It would run a few minutes even without the condenser fan working. Then again if it's a dual capacitor that blowed, it could keep both the compressor and fan from coming on. Still a cheap gamble to replace the capacitor. Make sure you pull the disconnect and kill the power. Check it with a volt meter to make sure you have no voltage inside the condensing unit. It would be safe to call a pro if you don't feel comfortable doing this.

The drain stopping up and not letting the unit run is probably related to a float or level switch wired into the low voltage controls. This switch keeps the a/c from running when the drain is stopped up. When you unstop the drain, the unit starts working again.

Cmp1

BANNED
there are several supply houses around here that I can buy a capacitor from, and I don't have a license.

Yeah,,,, it may be different other places,,,, he could get one off eBay for sure,,,, assuming he can read the rating of the cap,,,, lot of times there worn away,,,, but really for a service call and the part, if it is the cap,,,, he will check the system out also,,,, he would get the best deal,,,, assuming that the tech is reputable,,,,caps are cheap,,,,

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
around here they will charge him at least a service call of 100 bucks and then 60 to 80 for the capacitor. He can probably get a capacitor off ebay for 15 or 20 bucks.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you decide to fix it yourself see if your local Home Depot has a capacitor

Edit. A search shows the Dalton Ga store have several sizes in stock

Last edited:

Cmp1

BANNED
around here they will charge him at least a service call of 100 bucks and then 60 to 80 for the capacitor. He can probably get a capacitor off ebay for 15 or 20 bucks.

Wow,,,, that's pretty high for a service call,,,, we were 75 bucks,,,, he can probably get the cap for less than that on eBay,,,, we charged 20 percent markup on parts,,,,

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my experience here is they will charge 2.5 to 3x cost of the part, plus the service charge on something like this.
I had one go bad at work, the total ticket was over $160 bucks. It was a start/run capacitor on a Trane unit

Cmp1

BANNED

Sorry my Internet is acting funny,,,, we charged a 75 dollar service call,,,, parts markup was 20 percent,,,, he could probably get a cap off eBay for less than 20bucks,,,, pretty high service call,,,, but he would check the system out,,,, assuming,,,,

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
yep, he would get a system check out for the service call. Around here distance is usually an issue. They might have a 20 mile drive to get to you, and it is the busy season.

Wonder why nobody wants their a/c worked on in Feburary? ror

tad1

I had a capacitor go out on a weekend in middle july some years ago. It was a hotter than hades type of july like 100 degrees. My capacitor had gone out. It looked like a small soda can except that the top had bulged out. I was real lucky called an AC tech friend and he met me up at the local burger dive and sold me a cheap capacitor which did the trick. Do be real careful if messing around with one, don't wanna get zapped. Good Luck.
JT

Cmp1

BANNED
yep, he would get a system check out for the service call. Around here distance is usually an issue. They might have a 20 mile drive to get to you, and it is the busy season.

Wonder why nobody wants their a/c worked on in Feburary? ror

LOL LOL LOL,,,, best advice for a homeowner,,,,keep the filter changed,,,, dont get the expensive 3m ones,,,, too much load on the system,,,, get the 99cent ones and buy 12 at a time,,,,, change out every month,,,, and wash down the condenser coils,,,, and don't shut off a room because it's not being used,,,, airflow is everything in AC,,,,,

lbzdually

Banned
I don't know who I made mad, but I'm just having a stream of bad luck. I was running my portable unit in the living room and all of the sudden it shut off. I think it has to be the breaker, so I go out and it's not kicked, but I flip it off and back on to make sure. Go back in - nothing. I think the AC unit has kicked the can, nope nothing will work off outlets. I call my wife's uncle and he is perplexed because my voltage locator will beep at the outlets. He checks it with his meter and only 18 volts at the outlets. He works backwards and finds an outlet where the wires were just loose enough to not allow current through. So that is that solved. He seems to think the capacitor has gone bad and the unit is low on Freon. I'm trending towards what you guys are saying though, that the cap is bad and controls both. At least I hope.

Katalee

Call a pro, It's tooooo hot to mess around with it might be this or that. Good luck it's hot.

lbzdually

Banned
Call a pro, It's tooooo hot to mess around with it might be this or that. Good luck it's hot.

Not to mention I'm fighting a stomach bug and the heat outside is brutal combined with that. Got a little window unit to use in the living room, while my wife sleeps during the day using a portable unit in our bedroom, so we're making it. Last night we ran 4 box fans pulling air in and it was down to 71 in the house this morning at 7, but by 10 it was already 74.

lbzdually

Banned
I've got to say, you guys nailed it. Had a local guy, independent, send me a Facebook message today and was out doing call work. Came out and I told him the symptoms and he checked capacitor and that was it. $85 including the cap. It is humming right along now. :fine:

Josey

Electrical supply houses sell capacitors also.

Yep. If you can get some numbers off of the OEM one, you can probably find a replacement at Grainger. I replaced my condenser fan motor twice that way, using them.

My system finally gave up the ghost after 30 years, and I had a new a/c and furnace installed a few weeks ago. Now I have 12 months to pay off that $5,200 or else here comes the 29% interest on the balance.

edited: Oops - seems we were posting at the same time.