Academy may regret this move... wow.

GottaGetOutdoors

Academy folded. I question their motives for rehiring the man, but at least they did the right thing in the end.

Last edited:

rosewood

I am confused now.

Quote: "He was in accordance with corporate policy after he tackled a suspect who was attempting to run from the store with a .40-caliber handgun and several boxes of ammunition. "

If he was in accordance, why did they fire him???

MudDucker

Staff member
Who says that conservatives can't win a social media battle! I sent an email telling them to look at my prior purchases and to understand that I was not going to darken their store with type of company policy. I can understand letting someone walk out with clothes, but that a gun thief needed to be stopped and that they should have the person displaying firearms to be armed. Got no response.

MudDucker

Staff member
I am confused now.

Quote: "He was in accordance with corporate policy after he tackled a suspect who was attempting to run from the store with a .40-caliber handgun and several boxes of ammunition. "

If he was in accordance, why did they fire him???

I suspect a recently (last night) revised policy kicked in here!

rosewood

Maybe they remembered who shops at their store and learned from Dick's mistakes?

NugeForPres

the best outcome would have for the manager to have been carrying, see the criminal with a pistol in his hand, and blow him away because the customers and employees were in danger of being shot by the criminal.

Problem solved

Couldn't have said it better. It's high time for this bull to end. The employee did the right thing, period. He stopped a crime in progress and prevented who knows how many future crimes.

rosewood

You know, this entire policy is because of Lawyers. They will sue for anything and the majority of policies at businesses is to keep from getting sued so that employees and employers cannot do the right thing.

It is a good thing we have a President that wasn't a lawyer. Maybe we should continue this trend.

Rosewood

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
and the suit would be thrown out.
Probably,But you still get included in the wrongful death lawsuit. Then the jury gets to decide how much Academy gets to pay if anything.Inthe interim.Academy has to employ lawyers,expert witnesses,etc...its not like Academy has them in house as employees.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Probably,But you still get included in the wrongful death lawsuit. Then the jury gets to decide how much Academy gets to pay if anything.Inthe interim.Academy has to employ lawyers,expert witnesses,etc...its not like Academy has them in house as employees.

That's all included in the "got thrown out"

pottydoc

No, it's not actually because of lawyers. They can only file suit. It takes a jury to award a plaintiff even one dime. And guess who the juries are made up from. If juries didn't award such huge amounts, lawyers wouldn't be nearly as anxious to chase ambulances around. And no, I'm not a lawyer, nor married or related to any, and don't have any friends or even know someone who is a lawyer

ppelaez

Every criminal now knows that they can grab & dash at any Academy Sporting Goods store without interference from employees.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
No, it's not actually because of lawyers. They can only file suit. It takes a jury to award a plaintiff even one dime. And guess who the juries are made up from. If juries didn't award such huge amounts, lawyers wouldn't be nearly as anxious to chase ambulances around. And no, I'm not a lawyer, nor married or related to any, and don't have any friends or even know someone who is a lawyer
Nice try, but 99.9% of these type cases never make it to trial and if they do a settlement is still reached before a verdict. Guess who sets the conditions of a settlement?

Here's a hint; Not the jury. ;)

pottydoc

I know most of them settle. That's because the insurance companies would rather just throw cash at them rather than take a chance that some jury will award them major $$$$. I'm about as far from a tort lawyer fan as can be, and would love to,see serious limits put on the "pain and suffering" part of any award or settlement. But saying that huge jury awards don't affect the amount of suits filed, and settled, just ain't true.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
These suits are entered into with the 100% purpose of reaching a settlement. Court and a trial have nothing to do with their intents.