According to Dawgnation

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Why Georgia has the best fan base in the nation

Georgia fans proved a year ago that they are very much in the discussion for the best fan base in the country. Whether they were taking over Notre Dame or invading the Rose Bowl, fans clearly demonstrated they'll go just about anywhere to support Georgia football.

Between the Spike Squad, and the time 93,000 fans showed up to watch a spring game, Georgia fans will also go to any length to show their support for their beloved Bulldogs. Especially on Twitter.

There's now some statistical proof that Georgia might be the best fan base in all of college football. With a hit tip to DawgNation's Jeff Sentell, Georgia announced that it is the most followed college football program in the country, as the team account has 905,000 followers. With the hype videos and content that the account puts out, it's easy to see why it's a must follow for even the most casual of Georgia fans.

Sooner or later the Bulldogs are going to top 1 million followers and will likely be the first to do so. While Sanford Stadium fits just under 93,000 fans, there are many, many more out there who support and follow the team on Twitter.

And given that the Bulldogs figure to be a national title contender every year under Kirby Smart, the Georgia fan base is only going to get bigger and better.

From Dawg Nation today.

TinKnocker

IMO last season was "special" and possibly an anomaly. Only time will tell though. UGA was a year (if not 2) "early" compared to what most people assumed and I think that drove people to be more present and higher attendance. Notre Dame, to many, was a "destination game" and many probably attended for the trip as much as the game itself.But I think after winning that game with Fromm in his first start, people "believed", and they were off to the races and attending any game they could get tickets to.

Example: I am only 35. I wasn't even alive the last time UGA played for a national title. I suffered through the Goff years and the "Donnan of a new era" only to see a glimpse of success under Richt. Last year was literally the greatest season of UGA footbal I have seen in my lifetime. The teams that haunted UGA in the 90s (FLA and TN) took solid woodshed whippins and the weight of dominance over UGA by them was lifted in a way.

Once they won the SEC title game I knew something special was happening. There was no way I wasn't going to Pasadena. The day after the Rose bowl I was in the airport waiting on my flight home.......shopping for tickets to the Benz. Unfortunately 2500$ was more than I could do and had to watch from home.

Obviously, the pages of the Cinderella story were run through the shredder on 2-26 in OT.

If UGA goes 14-0 and wins the Natty in 2018, I still don't know that it would top the way I personally felt during the wild ride of 2017.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
IMO last season was "special" and possibly an anomaly. Only time will tell though. UGA was a year (if not 2) "early" compared to what most people assumed and I think that drove people to be more present and higher attendance. Notre Dame, to many, was a "destination game" and many probably attended for the trip as much as the game itself.But I think after winning that game with Fromm in his first start, people "believed", and they were off to the races and attending any game they could get tickets to.

Example: I am only 35. I wasn't even alive the last time UGA played for a national title. I suffered through the Goff years and the "Donnan of a new era" only to see a glimpse of success under Richt. Last year was literally the greatest season of UGA footbal I have seen in my lifetime. The teams that haunted UGA in the 90s (FLA and TN) took solid woodshed whippins and the weight of dominance over UGA by them was lifted in a way.

Once they won the SEC title game I knew something special was happening. There was no way I wasn't going to Pasadena. The day after the Rose bowl I was in the airport waiting on my flight home.......shopping for tickets to the Benz. Unfortunately 2500$ was more than I could do and had to watch from home.

Obviously, the pages of the Cinderella story were run through the shredder on 2-26 in OT.

If UGA goes 14-0 and wins the Natty in 2018, I still don't know that it would top the way I personally felt during the wild ride of 2018.

People's love of the Dawgs go way past winning and losing.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
When Georgia wins. Georgia parties. When Georgia loses. Everybody parties. That's how we do. GO DAWGS!!!!!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We have some good friends in Metamora Illinois that are Notre Dame fans. They went to the Georgia game in South Bend. They were overwhelmed that Dawg fans outnumbered, out cheered and out partied Irish fans at an Irish home game. Dawg fans were even courteous and partied with the Irish fans and got along swimmingly. Our friends tipped their hats to the team and the fans and said they wished Irish fans were like that.

We wish our friends in Illinois would move back to Georgia where they actually belong.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
If that's all you took from that post I may have worded it poorly.

Probably did, I took it as saying it is all due to Bandwagon fans jumping on in the last couple of years.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I meant I probably did, not you. I have watched many disappointing seasons, but my love of the Dawgs never wavered. Did not mean my post in a negative way, I know you are a DGD.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Go Dawgs laughing at peeps redoing a UT joke in a Dawg thread.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
So what, I think after your get past 5 years, you aint doing nothing but living in the past. Who cares about someone winning one 20 years ago. Most of today's players weren't even born yet.

TinKnocker

Not a Tennessee fan but at least they won one in 98. 1980 is a long time. Just sayin.
Still 20 years ago. Once you start counting in decades it’s all considered irrelevant.
So what, I think after your get past 5 years, you aint doing nothing but living in the past. Who cares about someone winning one 20 years ago. Most of today's players weren't even born yet.
Agreed. Once you start counting in decades, the discussion is pretty irrelevant.