Advice on upcoming new firearm purchase

pacecars

As you can tell I like 1911s and have owned a lot of different brands. I am no expert but know what I like and try to listen to the experts that know what they are talking about. If you want a good reliable gun under $800 I would pick a Ruger and know that it will do the job. It just won’t have the bells and whistles

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
If you plan on keeping it buy a Colt, it will go up in value.

Springfield is a good choice as is Ruger, also if you can find a Canadian made para ordanance P-13 you will have a double stack commander !!!!!!

scottfrmga

Ruger SR1911 Light Weight Commander. Great carry .45. Looks good too. Mine has been flawless. Never, ever had a failed to fire, for any reason. And I only shoot the cheapest steel, aluminum or brass case I can get.
Carry with Federal Low-Recoil Hydra-Shok.
Good luck with your purchase.

View attachment 955768
I have always been a fan of rugers, had a P90 years ago it shot good but trigger was not the best. How does the sr1911 trigger feel?

Big7

The Oracle
Go with the Ruger. A full size 1911 is a little large for my EDC weapon. I do have just about everything else under the sun
and NEVER had a single problem with any
Ruger.

I have purchased 2 new one's in the
last 6 weeks.

Balrog

I have been shooting 1911s for a long long time now. I own or have owned multiple Kimbers, Colts, Springfields, Wilson Combats, and Smith and Wesson 1911s.

I believe the further you get away from a 5" barrel, the more likely the design is to become unreliable.

I would not own any 1911 with less than a 4" barrel. I have had uniformly bad results over the last 30 yrs with less than 4" barrel lengths. I have had some finicky 4" guns too.

I have not owned a Kimber in 15 yrs. I had a couple back than and none of them, even full sized guns, were reliable, and Kimber customer service was horrible. Maybe they are better now and don't jam as much.

For the money, I would go with a Colt or Springfield.

I also believe that when it comes to a self defense gun that you are betting your life own, I would generally rather have a Glock than a 1911 anyway.

This is all just my opinion based on my experience. The opinions of others may be different.

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

I've always heard the 90's Kimbers were the best they'd ever made and are sought after. You really can get a lot for your money in a 1911 in the $700-800 range. S&W E-series is a often overlooked gun but is quite nice and I've never heard anyone that had one say anything bad about them. Ruger is also a good choice. You can even get a Colt blued 70 series for $800 if you keep an eye out and a blued 80 series for $749. Check out a Dan Wesson A2 sometime. Classic gun but with modern upgraded features and awesome fit and finish! Can be had under $1200 easily.

Reactions: Dub

Joe EC

I really like the trigger, Short take-up, hard stop, light to moderate pull with a very crisp break. I have never measured the pull force.

scottfrmga

Got a dilemma, I’m going to purchase a new handgun very soon.
What I want is a large bore .45 in a compact all metal 1911 style pistol.
I handled a kimber pro carry ll with crimson trace grip. Really liked the way it felt and most likely would have taken it home today but the BPS in Laurenceville, all they had was the display model and the counter guy was a bit butthead. So i came home empty handed. I’m at a $1000 budget and this most likely will be the most expensive single gun purchase I have made, I want the best quality I can get for this price range, so what would you buy?
Thanks for all the good advice. I ended up with a SW1911 full size pistol. Haven’t gotten to shoot it yet but it looks awesome and feels great in the hand, (shout out to LA Armory in Lavonia GA out the door was $1007 for pistol and 3 boxes of ammo) again thanks for the help.

Last edited: