Advice please how much difference in recoil

GPHC

from a Youth 243 to a Youth 7mm-08? I am going to place an order for one today but I was given some advice last night that the 7mm-08 has a lot more kick than the 243 but the effectiveness of the kill is better with the 7mm-08.

This gun is for my 9yr old daughter, weighs about 65-70 lbs. But mean as a snake and has been hunting with me regular for the past 3 yrs. It is time for the REWARD...

Thanks in advanc for your advice.

Al White

I'd go with the 7mm-08. There isn't alot of difference in the recoil. You can even get some of the new bullets that federal and remmington have out that reduce the recoil almost in half. I have seen alot of deer shot and never found with a .243 because of poor shot placement. The 7mm-08 has a little more knockdown power in my opinion, but that just my 2 cents on it.

Junebug

Alot has to do with the weight of the gun (heavier gun=less felt recoil) and the addition of a recoil pad may help.
From my experience (TOTALLY unscientific) the 7-08 kicks more.

GeauxLSU

Both potent whitetail cartridges. My son, when old enough will shoot a .243 in an AUTOmatic which will reduce the recoil to nothing and allow him to concentrate on shot PLACEMENT which should be the goal regardless of what you're shooting. I'm not a fan of the single shot deer rifle for kids, due to weight. A .22 for small game sure, but not a highpowered centerfire cartridge. As an adult, of course. That's just ME. My son will get an auto and one bullet at a time. Hopefully he'll shoot as well as I did as a young hunter (wish I still did) and every deer I took with my old .243 auto as a kid dropped dead in their tracks without a twitch! I actually haven't been able to say that about any other cartridge since. Of course, I don't practice as much as I did then either... :rolleyes:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

TurkeyCreek

second what Andy said about putting a Limbsaver/Sims recoil pad on.

i replaced the recoil pad that came on my A-Bolt 270wsm with one and there was a world of difference in the felt recoil.

Hunting Teacher

One of my daughters shoots a Model 7 youth 243. One shoots a Model 7 260. I shoot a Model 7 7/08 and they both say they feel very little difference in recoil between the three guns. The girls are wood stock and mine is synthetic with a good recoil pad.
Personally, I'd get the 7/08.
Just my .02 worth.
Teach

wildlands

No experience with either Caliber. But just my observations this year. Two of the deer I have tracked for people have been shot with 243's and there was very little blood to track. One was found the other not. The one that was found would have had a lot more of a blood trail if it had been shot with another caliber. Very good shot placement just a little hole going in and only a small exit hole.