After Four evenings!

Thread starter #1

Jim Ammons

After four evenings of hunting one of my favorite honey holes and letting a smart "ole doe" out smart me each evening I finally settled the score this afternoon. Each day for the last four days between 5:15 and 6:35 PM I have had 2 does and 3 yearlings slip into a food patch and start feeding. The "ole boss" would hang back and look at me in my tripod to see if I was there and stay back just out of reach for black powder. I passed on the other doe and made a decision that I was going to cull this smart heifer one way or the other. Yesterday I was ready for her with 7mm/08. She out foxed me again. Today she made a wrong move at 5:25 by sticking her neck out to see if I was around. She took a shot in the neck and chest and ran about a hundred yards. No blood trail but I found her piled up. 120 lbs and fat even feeding two yearlings-had already wean her two. Meat for the freezer and a good feeling-"ole boss doe" I think is harder to harvest than a buck at times.

Last edited:
Congrats on hunt.I guess those 2 will be eating acorns and grass soon. :D

Junebug

Nice job Mr. Ammons!

I agree with you; some of those old does are really smart. I think they might even pass on those smarts to their lil'ones.

Slasher

NOW YOU"RE TALKIN!!!!

How sweet is the taste of the ole doe!!! Especially hot off the grill wrapped in bacon!!! I love to put the smart one down...

Does are like voting in Florida..(OKay, I am originally from there, but left when it started to sound and look like NYC)

Vote/(kill does) early and often (for a better rut) or the case of voting; for desperate peeple who feel that their self righteous flagrance of the rules and laws will serve a greater good especially for us unenlightened oafs who don't know better.... (They actually think, they need to save us from ourselves, so they are justified in heir actions... go figure,,,,) :banginghe

Handgunner

Good going, Jim!

I wonder if the camo you're wearing had anything to do with them busting you so many times? ;)

Just kiddin'! Glad you got one out of the way. I'm still waiting to settle the score on anything at this moment. :D