Aging slowly vs aging fast

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
Sinclair thread made me think. Why do some people age so much slower then others? Example tom.brady. can you really reverse aging if you are perfect? What have you done to reverse aging or slow it down? What's your regrets as you get older on how you tool care of your body when you were younger? I'm now 35 and starting to think about this stuff as I want to age slowly and with dignity. It's scary to think about. I'm not worried about dying I'm worried about doing things in my life to make me suffer as I'm dying.
Thoughts?

GoldDot40

I've never used tobacco, alcohol, or drugs of any type. I'll be 42 the last day of this month...people think I'm 30-35. I'm also fair skinned, so I've taken extra measures to limit full sun exposure over the years.

sinclair1

I feel I have slowed it way down thru lifestyle choices. My wife is ahead of me, she looks 25 and gets called my daughter even though she is 47.

My father still push mowed a acre yard at 75 and one of my sisters runs marathons at 55. Most of those feats are taking advantage of genetics.

You have to play your cards the best you can. My brother didn't play them properly and although we have good genetics he died early living poorly.

I made choices to get my rear end in a job that wouldn't break me down.
I started life as a welder for the decent money it payed an idiot like me.
I knew that job would break me down and age me fast, so I made a choice to walk plants for a living with bad knees being one of the downsides. Except you can get new knees fairly easy.

All my eating right and exercising has payed off, just can't compete with younger stronger folks anymore.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m late 60’s, no tobacco or drugs. Drink in moderation.
I’m heavy and balding but most guess my age as younger.

Last edited:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have used tobacco, alcohol and a questionable herb in my past, and prolly partied to much. I am 73 now, no longer use tobacco, and what I drink today, would not have held up on a beer run years ago. Probably to late, I started hitting the gym, and eating better. Aint near as much fun, but I dont wake up felling bad anymore.

sinclair1

I feel the key is stress. Some have it because they worry about stuff too much like me, and some have demanding jobs.

I was losing hair like crazy at 40 until I quit my demanding career that included a drive downtown in the traffic. My balding stopped completely, with not much advance since then.

I was stressed out drinking to Cope with the high demands and desire to be successful. I don't take life near as serious and my health has responded.

GoldDot40

I lost my hair when I was 20 years old. Over the course of just a few months. Just a bad gene that neither one of my other siblings have. We all wore/wear ball caps (in doors and out doors ;)) our whole lives. Neither one of them ever lost the 1st strand. I am the youngest.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I lost my hair when I was 20 years old. Over the course of just a few months. Just a bad gene that neither one of my other siblings have. We all wore/wear ball caps (in doors and out doors ;)) our whole lives. Neither one of them ever lost the 1st strand. I am the youngest.

Yep, its the genes. Uncle on Dad’s side lost his hair in his 20s.
My baby brother in his late 50s hasn’t lost a strand.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Playing too hard well young will catch up to you when you're older. You only have so much play in you, don't use it up too early!
Also, being overweight and athletic is the worst possible combination for your knees!

whitetailfreak

An old timer hunting acquaintance of mine is pushing 80. He hunts the mountains around here and gets around better than most folks half his age. He still kills game and gets them out from way back in the mountains, he still climbs 20 ft homemade ladder stands, if he pulls the trigger something dies, he hunts 5-6 days per week during rifle season, he's quick witted, and is a mountain turkey's worst nightmare. I aim to be as active as him in 40 more years.

zedex

Gator Bait
At 54, I feel like a broken down mule. As I type this, I'm sitting in the ER due to hernia.

All my life, I worked hard at hard work. Lifting engine blocks and motorcycles, working on cars and heavy equipment..... I broke myself pretty badly then was run over by a friend of my ex-wife causing spinal injuries and both hips to be replaced along with left knee and left shoulder. I'm on wait list for gall bladder and appendix removal.
I've been severely burned, 2 years in burn institution, been shot and stabbed.
I partied hard, smoke cigarettes and have the occasional drink. Broke 38 bones, had several heart attacks.

Except for the grey hair, I really don't look my age, maybe 10 years younger. But my body feels closer to 300 years old

Note to you young'ns:
Just because you can don't mean you should... take it easy on your body... you got one chance at life. Theres no shame in requesting help with things.... ignorant pride comes back hard

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
Recap... so far we are looking at staying away from tobacco and alcohol. And getting excercise and eating right. No surprise there. Looking forward to reading more

specialk

Who's tom brady?....

baddave

don't smoke and watch your miles .i have more miles up and down ladders than most 80 yr. old men have all together . not to mention regular miles on big jobs , turkey hunting , deer hunting , golf all my life and a lot of that walking, taking care of this lil' 7 acres i live on and my knees are paying for it.. but you can usually look @ someone my age and tell if they smoked all their life . glad i changed my mind on suicide about 40 yrs ago