Airlines, hunting trips and bringing home your meat

QuakerBoy

If someone would fly on a hunting trip. What is the procedure for gettin meat home?

QuakerBoy

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Rich,

I'm not sure what the FAA rules are on shipping the meat from a hunting trip, though most folks I know of flying to and from a hunt are trophy hunting and because the trophy is what really matters to them they typically only bring back the cape and antlers/horns whatever the case may be and they donate the meat to the outfitter to do with as they please.

Delta charged me an extra $100 bucks for carrying on the cape and antlers of my buck from Canada, though that has been several years ago and they may have gone up. There's no telling what a case or two of meat would have cost... :speechles

MudDucker

Staff member
I have carried waterproof bag and packed birds and ice in them as check baggage. Should work okay with other game meat. Best to freeze first.

QuakerBoy

I bet ya get some looks from the baggage screeners when ya do that :bounce:

milton....I'm taling bout bringin home PORK

I don't wanna mount an ugly pig

Handgunner

Rich, get the pig and then worry about getting him home. If it's too expensive, I'll take it... :D::ke:

Agman

MudDucker said:
I have carried waterproof bag and packed birds and ice in them as check baggage. Should work okay with other game meat. Best to freeze first.
Dito here.

UPS one of my bag of cloths and checked my other back with frozen meat. Wrapped in paper and dirty socks.
Still frozen when I got home.

QuakerBoy

wrapped in dirty socks??? how did it taste :confused: :bounce:

cowboyron

Rpaul11, I would have mine cut at the local butcher shop up in Minn. freeze it. Pack it in a cooler and ship it with my luggage. I have never had any problems or been charged extra for it. It has been about 6yrs. since my last trip. One year I packed some snow in the cooler cuz my kids had never seen snow before. Well I get off the plane back home in Ft. Myers Fl. and no cooler or luggage. It ended up in Texas, well as soon as they got it back to Ft. Myers they delivered it right to my door. Meat was still frozen but the snow took on a different shape more like watery ice.

QuakerBoy

thanks for all the replies.

Ron......how did you keep the cooler closed....them baggage handlers can be kinda rough from what I hear :whip:

dbodkin

Rich.. I've used FedX with dry ice all packed in a styrofoam cooler. Worked on small amount of antelope meat. But if you get a big hog that may be costly. Ship all your clothes by USPS (Cheapest) and carry a cooler on the plane and check one. That should cover it.. If you dont want to deal with a weapon as checked bags I can always supply a rifle

QuakerBoy

I don't need to bring the whole pig home....someone could have a lot of it if they wish.

I would only want a ham and one whole loin....I bet you and Tina could use the rest

Of course there still is the part about actually getting one LOL