Albany area plantation with (1) entry level position available

duckhunter2010

One of the premier private, wild quail plantations in Albany, GA is looking to hire an individual for an entry level position. Experience driving tractors is helpful but I would rather train an individual who is willing to learn than butt heads with somebody who has a "been there, done that" attitude. Every day on a plantation is different but this position would mostly be driving a tractor feeding birds, blocking, harrowing firebreaks, planting, etc. along with helping on quail hunts as needed. Manual labor is a big part of this job as well all while being outside on the hot, cold, rainy, and dry days. Our crew gets along fairly well as we are all in our 20s and 30s but we all like to work hard and see results. This job is a full time position with benefits after a probationary period (vacation, retirement, insurance, housing possible in the future). This would be the perfect job for a young high school or college graduate looking for FULL TIME work and learn a trade that is becoming a dying art. If you are interested or have any questions, feel free to email me at gregorycodyk@gmail.com. Thanks.

Zak26

How far is Albany from Blakely? I’m moving up there soon and I have been looking for a job

GottaGetOutdoors

You are right. It is a lost trade. I trained bird dogs to help pay for college. That was in the 80s when it was common for TX oilmen to have a big quail lease and a kennel full of wide ranging pointers. It exposed me to some interesting folks. One was OD "Peck" Carlton from Albany, GA. Turns out he owned Carlton Caterpillar and Oakland Plantation, a 12,000-ac quail plantation. We hit it off and he hired me a job as plantation manager. It was hard work that few guys were willing to do. We worked 12 hours a day 6 ½ days a week.

We hunted all wild birds. Rode fine walking horses with English saddles. Albert drove the mule drawn wagon for guests who couldn't ride. Kenneled 50 bird dogs and farmed close to 6,000 acres. But man...what a great experience.

Last edited: