Algae killing dogs

tucker80

Heard about a game warden warning a lady who was letting her dog swim in Hartwell today (this was at tugaloo). I did a quick Google search and was shocked how many cases there are. Have any of y'all heard about this? Thoughts?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
This algae has been around forever and I’m surprised more hunting dogs don’t succumb to it more often. My dogs have always been in and out of water year round. I’ve never had a problem and my coon dogs use to tree in some shore enough stinking water. It may be our hunting stock being exposed to less than desirable water a lot over time have built up a tolerance to the algae.

JonathanG2013

It is the blue green algae that is killing the dogs. I found out that it can be in lakes and also be transferred from a lake to a river also. I read where it can affect dogs and horses as well.

Blue Green Algae is in Fresh Water and Red Tide Algae is in Salt Water

Hillbilly stalker

There was a story on Fox yesterday morning where a lady lost 2 dogs to it. I've never heard of it before.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Yes this algae is deadly to some animals but it has been around a long time.
The main reason it is in the “news” right now is most news outlets are repeater stations dealing with sensationalism. Most reporters can’t research and write an article anymore so they repeat someone else’s article. Kinda goes hand in hand with grain free dog food hoopla.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Yes this algae is deadly to some animals but it has been around a long time.
The main reason it is in the “news” right now is most news outlets are repeater stations dealing with sensationalism. Most reporters can’t research and write an article anymore so they repeat someone else’s article. Kinda goes hand in hand with grain free dog food hoopla.
What?? Are you telling me that the food my dogs have lived off of for years, all the sudden ain't good for them???:bounce::bounce:

ryanh487

It's a type of freshwater cyanobacteria and it is very toxic, with no antidote once ingested.

It is also common in aquariums, so if you have one don't let your dog drink out of the water change bucket when you're doing maintance, or dump the water in an area outside that your dog frequents.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I could be wrong.

From the little bit of reading into it I did. It seems to me there would have to be a major algae bloom going on. In order for your dog to injest enough to kill them. You should be able to see it floating in the water. So don't let your dog go swimming if the area is covered in it.

ryanh487

I could be wrong.

From the little bit of reading into it I did. It seems to me there would have to be a major algae bloom going on. In order for your dog to injest enough to kill them. You should be able to see it floating in the water. So don't let your dog go swimming if the area is covered in it.

Yes, it's only a risk if it's in the immediate area and gets on your dogs fur where they can lick it off or the dog drinks water with the algae floating in it or growing along the bottom. If no algae is visible there is little to no risk.

Cyanobacteria primarily grows in areas of little to no water flow, so it would be more likely in remote coves that aren't fed by creeks or in areas of stagnant pools up on the bank nearby. Phosphates are a primary food source for the algae, so if there is a large lawn nearby (i.e. a golf course) that is another contributing factor, from fertilizer runoff.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Very informative thread. I've never heard of it either but tend to call my dogs off stagnant water when I'm around none the less.

ucfireman

Think this is the same stuff they say kills the eagles when eating fish. I had heard about it before but not about the dogs.

oldguy

I'm 73 and never heard of this in my life. Why now? When we were kids we trapsed all over, swam in local ponds and water holes and the dogs did too. Ain't nobody's died and certainly no younguns. I betcha I'm not the only one that drank God forsaken water out of rice paddies, sluggish streams even bob craters in Viet Nam. No dead Mrines from drinking the water - though some may have wished they hadn't drunk it later on!. I don't doubt that BGA is the culprit, just wannta' know why now and not ow these 73 years? Anybody got any answers? Surely there's a Doc of some sort amongst us that can shed a little light. Eagerly awaiting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never heard of it in over half a century until I saw the news story the other morning about the lady losing two dogs in eastern NC.