ALL WMA's

gaunited

Look at the regs for each WMA your interested in. It will clearly state (Not included in the May16-31st hog and coyote hunt. Look at the some of the WMA dove fields they will show what i'm talking about.

Thanks I see it now. Also, their are some that don't have a special regulation, I'm assuming those aren't open? for example river bend wma don't have a special regulation and is closed for the may 16-31 hog n coyote hunt but is not stated in the regulation book.

gatorhater

gaunited, call the DNR LE Office and they can tell you with certainty. There are a ton of WMA's open to dog hunting that have not been open before.

tomcat58

wma hog hunt

my opinion there is no way anybody would go out and try to kill a hog in hot weather all kinds of bugs and snakes come on (DNR) could have made a better choice when it was cooler ( o thats right yall don't want that many killed any way ) we don't have a problem anyway (HA HA]

From what I have seen at private clubs, baiting on a wma would be a nightmare. Club members get into knock down drag out fights about whose corn pile you are hunting. I can just see being accosted by some lunatic because I'm hunting too close to their corn on a wma. No thanks.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
my opinion there is no way anybody would go out and try to kill a hog in hot weather all kinds of bugs and snakes come on (DNR) could have made a better choice when it was cooler ( o thats right yall don't want that many killed any way ) we don't have a problem anyway (HA HA]

This ain't the only time you can hunt hogs on WMAs. You do realize you can hunt hogs Aug 15 - Feb 28 and turkey season.

Spot and stalk is fine. The person texting and driving is probably 1000 times more likely to kill you on the way to a wma than getting shot when you get there.

Last edited:

jkendal1

So We can use any BIG OR SMALL GAME WEAPON???

"HUNTING FERAL HOGS AND COYOTES
A Feral Hog and Coyote Season will be held from May 16-31 on all
WMAs (unless otherwise specified). During this two week hunt, any
legal firearm for big or small game may be used except on Archery Only
areas where hunters can only use archery equipment.
In addition, feral
hogs and coyotes may be taken during any small or big game season
with the appropriate lawful weapons. Hunter orange is required. No
night hunting or baiting allowed. Electronic calls may be used. "

Taxman

Don’t waste time

I spent countless hours and hiked 12 miles scouting last week for hogs. Spot and stalked within 47 yds before I was winded. Went back today and was disappointed not to see any. Had them pegged down around a big wma tract.

Well on the way out I saw a truck loaded with dogs. Nice guy with his family. Proceeded to inform me how his dogs had been chasing hog all evening and they had another bayed but he couldn’t figure how to get to him without leaving his truck.

My fault. Didn’t realize dogs were allowed for this hunt. Hunted it many times before and no dogs allowed.

Taxman

Hog hunt

Not really complaining, very nice young family out enjoying the outdoors. Just a heads up for others headed out with stick and string.

littlewolf

Taxman, same boat as you. I couldn't figure it out looking at the regulations so called DNR and asked. They said dogs are allowed for this hunt on this particular WMA, but next year they wont be.

littlewolf

Also to your question, Blackbear, there was a sign in sheet at the check station. You do not have to checkout your hogs. I am not sure about buckshot but you can use deer rifle.

Taxman

I don’t hunt dogs but don’t like to see those hunters excluded. Would have been nice to split the days so all could have a opportunity for success. My strategy now is to pack light, carry bear spray in case dogs turn on meand chase the dogs!!! Lol:))

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I don’t hunt dogs but don’t like to see those hunters excluded. Would have been nice to split the days so all could have a opportunity for success. My strategy now is to pack light, carry bear spray in case dogs turn on meand chase the dogs!!! Lol:))

Ask to join them. Hog dogging is a blast. We've had several different members on our club over the years that hunted with dogs. Good folks for the most part that like to introduce new hunters to the sport

Latest posts