Alligator Gar in Georgia?

Rebel 3

I was not aware of any alligator gar in Georgia. According to national georgraphic Georgia is in their home range. Their is no listing for a state record for alligator gar in Georgia. Does anyone know if they are anywhere in Georgia? I know we have plenty of gar, but not alligator gar :confused:. I would be fun to catch one if they were around here. They get up to 10 feet long and over 300 lbs.

firefighterfree

I could be wrong but Clark Hill and West Point the West Point Grabbers should chime in

Last edited:

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
not that i am aware of , there are spotted, shortnose and long nose but no gators. i can wish though !!!

crappie man

allatoona

allatoona is full of them and they are huge i have seen them over 5 foot long ,,i am sure they are bigger then that in there

Alligator Gar

It would be exciting to see an Alligator Gar in West Point Lake or up the river and many years ago there were some in Georgia waters I hear, but progress has eliminated their habitat except maybe near Gulf coastal waters. Plenty of Longnosers for me though and I look forward to snagging some soon!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve spent more than a little time on the Flint River, from Warwick to Bainbridge, and on Seminole. I have never positively seen what I think would be a gator gar. I wonder if there are any in this watershed?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Alligator Gar

Believe the Wikiva that flows into the St. Johns in Florida has some, or did. Back in the 1950's My Dad and I used to fish there, and gar would kick hycinths high in the air to chase out something to eat. Scare ya when it happens next to the boat.

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
plenty of longnose and spotted in the flint above the bluff and plenty of long nose in the ocmulgee seen hundreds but never seen a gator gar.i would like to though.

jinx1984

Use To Live In Nashville Georgia . They Have The Alapha River that runs thru there . When I was a young lad we use to catch them 5 to 7 feet long . Fight them to bank then cut line scarded of them big old teeth !!!!!!!!!!!
:shoot::hair:

Jim Baker

Staff member
Use To Live In Nashville Georgia . They Have The Alapha River that runs thru there . When I was a young lad we use to catch them 5 to 7 feet long . Fight them to bank then cut line scarded of them big old teeth !!!!!!!!!!!
:shoot::hair:

Those were long nose gar, have caught them in the Alapaha, the Withlacoochee and the Suwannee.

Never caught an alligator or even hung one. But there are some 5 to 7 foot longnose gars in both those rivers. Seen one come out of a net years ago, 6 1/2 foot long.

jinx1984

Those were long nose gar, have caught them in the Alapaha, the Withlacoochee and the Suwannee.

Never caught an alligator or even hung one. But there are some 5 to 7 foot longnose gars in both those rivers. Seen one come out of a net years ago, 6 1/2 foot long.

When you are 10 years old .They look like alligators to me !:cool: