Alligator help...

Kyboy83

Lord willing I'll get my tag this year. Setting up here in Ky on a dreary day looking at zone maps. Where is best chance to get a gator? Possibly bringing family so where is a place that would give them some things to do while I'm hunting? Also will need a place were i can have access to hotel or something....just not comfortable bringing camper that far. Looking for anykind of help. As for the hunting is it possible to do from land? Is a boat required? Best caliber handgun? I want to have all my ducks in a row since this may be the family vacation this year. Once again any help appreciated....open ears.

dirtnap

I don’t know anything about the zones but anywhere on the altamaha river is full of them. You would have to have a boat if you go the river route but it should give you flexibility as far as trying to find somewhere with other things for the family to do. The altamaha covers a lot of ground. I know down toward McIntosh county at the lower end probably has a higher density but on the upper end toward Hazlehurst, the population has exploded in recent years, some bigguns too

fatback

Are you looking to do it on your own or with a guide? What size gator are you hoping for? Most likely you will need a boat if you are hunting public waters and the other equipment for gator hunting. Might could get it done from the bank if you have access to a private pond somewhere. How do you plan on attaching the line before dispatch? Archery? Casting? Need to have an idea about that before making too many plans

Mark K

Banned
I haven’t hunted them yet, but I believe there are a lot of regulations to be adhered to. As stated above I believe the gator has to be arrowed, harpooned, or caught with a hook before shooting. Best bet would be to find someone that just loves doing it and got a tag theirself and maybe let you ride along and fill yours as well.

Blackston

I'm a fan of DIY ..... but with no prior knowledge of area then pile that on top of hunting at night ... I would definitely seek a guide

Kille them all. Nasty things they are. Live with them every day. Don’t like them and I would be happy to see them gone.

oldguy

I think if you plan a family vacation around coming to GA to gator hunt you're planning on making your family very mad at you! Gators don't conveniently live near metro areas with entertainment near-by. You'd be hunting at night (maybe all night) which means sleeping during the day. You'd be unavailable for family fun. Southwest GA has a lot of gators but it's also very rural. A fishing camp might wind up being your motel. Best thing for you to do is call DNR, get some leads on gator guides and talk to them. Ask them all the questions you're asking here and then some. This is not a deal you want to go off on half-cocked.

Blackston

Savannah is beautiful!!! Lots of gators. St simons is beautiful lots of gators ( mouth of altamaha as mentioned) Jacksonville is BIG plenty to do very close to ga south east corner.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Lake Seminole down in Zone 2 is about as close to a sure bet as you can get, but unless your family likes to fish, there won`t be much else for them to do. As Old Guy said, it`s rural. And after Hurricane Michael, it will be hard to find a nice place to stay. Closest motel will be over 20 miles away in Bainbridge.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
If you're lookin for hotels and family activities then you may want to consider puting in for one of the zones around the Ga coast.
Savannah area and Brunswick have lot's of awesome fish restaurants and family fun beaches on their nearby Islands. Savannah has lots of historical stuff, pirate bars, haunted ghost tours.

Kyboy83

I haven’t hunted them yet, but I believe there are a lot of regulations to be adhered to. As stated above I believe the gator has to be arrowed, harpooned, or caught with a hook before shooting. Best bet would be to find someone that just loves doing it and got a tag theirself and maybe let you ride along and fill yours as well.
This would be ideal Lord willing.....

Kyboy83

I think if you plan a family vacation around coming to GA to gator hunt you're planning on making your family very mad at you! Gators don't conveniently live near metro areas with entertainment near-by. You'd be hunting at night (maybe all night) which means sleeping during the day. You'd be unavailable for family fun. Southwest GA has a lot of gators but it's also very rural. A fishing camp might wind up being your motel. Best thing for you to do is call DNR, get some leads on gator guides and talk to them. Ask them all the questions you're asking here and then some. This is not a deal you want to go off on half-cocked.
Appreciate it but my family be right at home in a fishin camp. Id take my boy with me but he aint old enough. Thanks for the info.