Almost time to plant!

Jim Boyd

Our target date is 1 October.

3/4 of a ton of wheat here.

Gotta get some clover and Austrian peas... and we still have to get the plots fully prepared.

Does it ever end?

Best of luck to all!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,578

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Mines on a couple pallets, waiting for me to come and pick them up!!! The time is nearing!!!!

ucfireman

Do y'all get discounts on the seed? I just buy from the local seed/feed. I guess I need to ask about the Habitat seed program? I don't plant a lot though so it may not be worth looking for.

7 point

Almost time to plant and my woods are flooded

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Do y'all get discounts on the seed? I just buy from the local seed/feed. I guess I need to ask about the Habitat seed program? I don't plant a lot though so it may not be worth looking for.

I get "fair" prices on the seed and get a discount on fertilizer, buying more than a ton.

Jim Boyd

The wheat was $9 bag for 50 lb bags.

3/4 ton (or 30 bags) was $270.

Gotta make every dollar count!

Will have to pay regular price for clover and winter peas.

Best of luck!

davidhelmly

Our brassica has been in the ground a couple of weeks and if the soil isn't too wet our clover and cereal grain will be in the ground by weeks end. I hate all the devastation that Irma is doing but am very thankful for the much needed moisture in our area!

Deernut3

I planted one of my largest plots Saturday. It's bad to get real dry late summer early fall so i went ahead and planted a bit earlier than I usually do.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
We planted ours in south ga last weekend , probably getting washed away as I type , got ground ready in Troup gonna plant as soon as it gets dry enough !

buddy48

Our target date is 1 October.

3/4 of a ton of wheat here.

Gotta get some clover and Austrian peas... and we still have to get the plots fully prepared.

Does it ever end?

Best of luck to all!!!

At what rate do you spread your wheat? Lbs/acre?

Jim Boyd

Buddy - about 75 lbs per acre

Do the same with naked oats.

This might be a little high, but we have a vicious deer herd.

Good luck.

Jim Boyd

We are typically counting on the wheat or oats to nurse the clover along, if that helps.

Good luck.

davidhelmly

Download FarmLogs app. Draw your property borders and you'll get daily updates of rainfall with YTD totals. Great app.

View attachment 913842

View attachment 913843

AC, I'm a Farmlogs addict... I look at it several times a day even when I know it hasn't rained!! :whip: :whip:

We got the last of our plots replowed and the cereal grain spread yesterday, we will get them drug today and then spread the clover and cultipack. That Woods PSS84 sure would have made this quicker... maybe next year... :banana:

Jim Boyd

Got three acres drilled in Friday night and early Saturday morning.

Drilled it a little too heavily (did not realize how much seed I was using per acre til I was a good way into the field and then did not want to change) but I got it all done and jumped in the truck to head for meetings this week in Orlando. This field is gonna be wheat only so it is probably not a big deal.

I don't plant clover til at least 1 October.

Think we will end up with 9-10 acres planted on this 247 acre tract

Disking by headlights (with no moon illumination) sucks! Throw in a few beers and the work you did at 10 pm the night before looks pretty dreadful.

Best of luck folks!