Altamaha River - Let's Go Fishing

Nimrod71

The river is in good shape, it's time to hit the river. Morgan's Lake at Jesup is a great place over 1,200 acres to fish, lakes and river. Great Bass, catfish and bream fishing. Take a boy fishing. If you teach someone to hunt and fish they will never go hungry.

fireman1501

Have heard a lot about Morgan lake but never been . Is it pretty good fishing and very much water on it. Are does it dry up when the river gets low?

Bream Pole

Plenty of water. Unfortunately it is below Rayonier Plant. I personally am leery of eating fish near that plant. Used to have to buy a permit at Jaycee Landing. I haven't fished there in years.

JackSprat

it doesn't dry up. When the river is low you can't get to the lake from the river It's part of a WMA now, and if there was an advisory on eating fish, it would be posted.

I would rather eat fish from the fitered water of the river swamp, than from the main river any time.

Bream Pole

"Filtered water of the river swamp"? That's a new concept for me. Anyway I confess its the thought, without any proof of toxic fish, that has me not wanting to eat fish caught around that plant. Some of the thought comes from what friends who worked there over the years have told me.

I do agree that swamp lake fish are good tasting fish. Best tasting fresh water fish I have ever eaten--bream, shell cracker, jack, bass--have come from Hugh's Old River Lake a few miles up stream from that plant. Been about three years since I fished there.

ribber

We used to fish Morgans all the time. It was trashed up the last two times we went. Now that there is no fee, the riff-raff have piled in there on the weekends. It is still a beautiful place and there's some whopper bream in there if you catch it when the river is right. 5-7 ft is best.
We would motor out to the river and come into Lake Bluff and troll/pitch crickets from there through the woods all the way back to Morgans. There is another lake back in there 'Big Lake' that's 20ft plus in some places.