Altamaha WMA

DRBugman85

It has been announced that there'll be no managed hunts on BULTER ISLAND WMA Quote hunts in 2023/2024 waterfowl season, Due to all the flooding over the Earth Dikes that were washed out from the high water/rain .
They are repairing as fast as they can,however un safe to use according to WMA management.

jdgator

I recently learned GA Ducks Unlimited funds nearly 100% of the costs of maintaining those impoundments.

CJT

I recently learned GA Ducks Unlimited funds nearly 100% of the costs of maintaining those impoundments.
Actually, this is not true. Much of the funding comes from North American Wetlands Conservation Act grants that are secured by DU's South Atlantic Field Office. These are federal funds that require at least a 1:1 non-federal match. Additional funds are typically provided by GADNR, Coastal Conservation Association, even FEMA, in the case of hurricane or tropical storm damage, which has been the cause of most of the infrastructure failure on the Altamaha WMA in the past decade.

Last edited:

jdgator

Actually, this is not true. Much of the funding comes from North American Wetlands Conservation Act grants that are secured by DU's South Atlantic Field Office. These are federal funds that require at least a 1:1 non-federal match. Additional funds are typically provided by GADNR, Coastal Conservation Association, even FEMA, in the case of hurricane or tropical storm damage, which has been the cause of most of the infrastructure failure on the Altamaha WMA in the past decade.

Thank you for the clarification. I am glad to know this resource is getting federal support.