Altoona Trip 2/7/05

James Vincent

Went to toony to try for Bass with live shad. Had the worst day catching bass of the last two weeks, the trip I get to go on(wind). we only caught 5 bass and 1 stripe. My fishing buddy had been catching a limit every day. The bass bite on the coosa has been great also. The largest bass was a 5lb spot, it looks small compaired to what is holding it. The stripe was 16 lb.
All days are good when you can go.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 195
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 186
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 180

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
James, nice fish!

Were you using flatlines? We tried flatlines on Sunday morning in the Allatoona Creek arm and blanked on fish. We were marking quite a bit of fish, but they were deep and were not biting. We might have been better off trying some downlines though.

Oscott

Fished Toona also Saturday (sun up to about 1PM). Used gizzard shad and ran six lines (2 free, 2 dropped and 2 on planners). Caught one spot ! It was a nice day though and better then working around the house. We'll give it another go next weekend.

James Vincent

Toony trip

All fish were caught freelining the shad within 10 ft of the bank. Steep rock on river channel, Danny you should recognize beach in striper picture. My buddy went back today with more shad and caught 7 spots all over 3 lb. The shad were left over from coosa bass trip. that trip caught only one bass so he went cat fishing in river. caught 18 blue cats, largest 28 lbs. Its gonna get good real soon

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
James, I did recognize the beach and the bank in the background of the spot pictures. Back in early Jan. we picked up a 10# striper just across from the beach and the next day a buddy caught a 20# fish down that same rocky bank.

Boy, that's alot blues! You just never know what you are going to catch on the Coosa! From the reports I have read on Weiss this year is shaping up to be a great year for crappie also. I know I was catching alot more small crappie last year in the castnet compared to years past.

James Vincent

Crappie

They have been catching some great crappie in the creek channel at brushy before this little cold front. We havent tried fishing for them yet. This info from people we talked to on way in. Remember how hard it was to catch 4 inch shad in brushy last year, all you would get was a net full of little shad with 1 or 2 good shad. Well they have grown up. One cast at tunnel will get you more good shad (4 inch) than one man can lift

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
It's amazing what a shad factory Weiss is. I have not seen another body of water where you can pretty much throw your net almost anywhere and expect to catch a shad. :cheers: