Alyce Clover

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
:):):) Nice herd, too!

Last edited:

Triple C

George...Great looking plot! I've never tried Alyce clover and don't know much about it. Keep updating.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Looks great ?

Is this bottom land?

GeorgeShu

Milkman, yes this is lowland about 75 yards up slope from a seasonal creek. Well, the creek has run continuously this year but normally dries up during the summer. The trees in the background are where the stream runs.

Triple C, this is my first try with it. I decided I wanted something productive growing year around so I am trying this to see how it goes. So far so good, the deer are eating it. I will make some future posts as time progresses. We can learn together.

Alyce clover is a tropical legume but not a true clover. Supposed to thrive in the heat and humidity we have. The ph in this plot is 6.7. I did not add any fertilizer beyond what was put down last fall, supposed to scavenge well and grow in low fertility soils. It was recommended that I add inoculant since it is a new crop to the area and the soils likely do not have it naturally, so I did.

We will see what happens.....

BCPbuckhunter

Milkman, yes this is lowland about 75 yards up slope from a seasonal creek. Well, the creek has run continuously this year but normally dries up during the summer. The trees in the background are where the stream runs.

Triple C, this is my first try with it. I decided I wanted something productive growing year around so I am trying this to see how it goes. So far so good, the deer are eating it. I will make some future posts as time progresses. We can learn together.

Alyce clover is a tropical legume but not a true clover. Supposed to thrive in the heat and humidity we have. The ph in this plot is 6.7. I did not add any fertilizer beyond what was put down last fall, supposed to scavenge well and grow in low fertility soils. It was recommended that I add inoculant since it is a new crop to the area and the soils likely do not have it naturally, so I did.

We will see what happens.....
my guess is you will love it. It handles browsing very good. I use it every summer.

shdw633

We just started using it in our plots and have been very impressed with it. Definitely going to be a part of the mix from here on in.

wyldwulf

I have been using Alyce for about 7-8 years now. I have touted it in posts on here before. Hands down it is one of the simplest summer crops out there, and the deer hammer it til the frost gets it. Many of my trail cam pics of summertime bucks come from an established Alyce plot. I used to mix it with the deer vetch, but that has gotten too costly for me for the little benefit it provided.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
And I have used it on some pretty poor and compacted soils and it still grows!

GeorgeShu

Give it a try. I did a pure crop, throw and mow in a played out fall plot from last year. I seeded it at about 20 lbs per acre, got good rain and have a wonderful full stand. Some say you can mix with ashenominie ? Also called deer vetch with good result. I sprayed the plot with Glyphosate to kill weeds before I sowed.
Good luck