Amatuer hoping to learn

AmateurAlex

I'm 23 year old living in Atlanta and I've been deer hunting for about two years. Now I'd like to start hunting some small game. So far I've been to some wma's to dove and rabbit hunt. When I rabbit hunt I just walk in the woods/fields hoping to kick them up, I've seen a couple but haven't harvested anything yet. Any tips on how to rabbit hunt w/o a dog? Any WMA recommendations for birds, rabbits, pigs? Thanks in advance for the help!

drahthaar

Don't forget squirrels. Rabbits are tastier that tree rats in my opinion, but just barely.

For rabbits, they are often trying to hide from you as you walk by rather than run away. But they get very nervous if you stop near them (even if you aren't aware they are nearby) and may try to bolt. So try walking at changing paces, stopping near brush, etc. And watch your 6, they will often run behind after you have passed.

For squirrels, don't be afraid to take binoculars to search within tree tops.

BradW

Squirrels are pretty easy to get. A bark call with a rubber plunger does well. You can hunt with either a shotgun with #6 shot or a 22 (I prefer hp on them). Shotgun is easier to take them when they are moving in the trees and 22 for range and sometimes clean shots if you can pop them in the head. What I've done is just go find a spot and sit down, and sit really still. Just barely move your head if anything to watch, and move slow. After about 15 minutes or so the squirrels will start to move. You can use a bark call to draw them out or to you, and shoot them. Sometimes the noise will make them curious what it is. So you can take a few them go collect them, then go sit back down and wait. If your spot is dead, move on. Squirrels if you get one that hides on you will run on the backside of a tree, so you can throw a stick or a rock on the opposite side to flush it out to you. Walking, stopping, watching is another good way, especially with two people with one having a shotgun and another with a 22.

AmateurAlex

Don't forget squirrels. Rabbits are tastier that tree rats in my opinion, but just barely.

For rabbits, they are often trying to hide from you as you walk by rather than run away. But they get very nervous if you stop near them (even if you aren't aware they are nearby) and may try to bolt. So try walking at changing paces, stopping near brush, etc. And watch your 6, they will often run behind after you have passed.

For squirrels, don't be afraid to take binoculars to search within tree tops.

I'd been hesitant to get after squirrels because I don't know how to cook them, but I may have to reconsider. Thanks for the tips on rabbits! Those all seem like great observations and I'll definitely try them out!

BradW

They are pretty easy to cook. Many people fry them up, Steve Rinella's cookbook has a few recipes in there including one of them where he broke them up into quarters and fried them up and used them like hotwings. Mostly we've put them in a crockpot and slowcooked the meat, then pulled it out off the bone (usually it falls off anyway) and used it any casserole where you would use something such as turkey or chicken. If you end up with a bunch of mixed up game, don't be afraid to just mix it all up in a casserole for a wild game mixup feast. I've done that when I've had like 2-3 dove, a rabbit, few squirrels, and maybe a a quail even thrown in there.

I'd been hesitant to get after squirrels because I don't know how to cook them, but I may have to reconsider.

Hillbilly stalker

Get you a “ instant Pot” it’s a digital pressure cooker. Quarter up your squirrels and throw them in. In about 13-15 minutes their so tender they will fall apart. You don’t need to par boil em or wait 4 hours on a crock pot anymore. Take em out and roll them in egg & four and fry them. Roll them in pancake batter and fry them if you like a little sweet taste. We make squirrel hash, fried squirrel, squirrel bbq and even use it as pizza toppings. Their great fried up with some gravey too. The will make a puppy dog pull a freight train !?