Amazing how long a mistake will stick with ya..

sman

Ever notice that with turkeys the mistakes stick with you for a while. You play em over and over. If it's a miss or you get busted it seems to linger. Some even linger for years. I don't get these moments with deer.

Had a lingering moment this morning. It is gonna be a while to forget this one. I will put it in an end of the season recap, but for now it stings a little. Ended with a great morning, just would like to have that first part work out a little differently.

MFOSTER

BANNED
Those self inflicted stupid ones that I know better,linger on me.

T-N-T

Something about turkey birds makes a fella stupid. Makes you do stupid things when you are telling yourself not to do it. Yet there you go doing what you know in your heart is a bad idea.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Those misses and spooking birds does stick with you for a while.

sman

I walk out going we should've or if we only would've. Then spend the rest of the day going why didn't we just.

MKW

The mistakes don't bother me too bad...and I make plenty of them. There's always another turkey around the corner. I think it's a side effect of being able to hunt every day, if I choose to.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Setup. It's always the setup. But, sometimes you can't move to where you need to be without getting busted. Yesterday was no different.

Gut_Pile

I had one yesterday that is still bugging me. I saw a gobbler Saturday afternoon in an area of the property that usually holds birds, so yesterday in the rain I decided to go set up and camp and call every 30 minutes or so to see if I could make something happen. I got there at 2:00 and at 5:30 I finally stretched out my legs and a gobbler 100 yards away through the woods picked me off. Heard him put right when I moved and I caught site of him walking away from me as he walked through an opening 125 yards away. I was highly frustrated.

sman

Setup. It's always the setup. But, sometimes you can't move to where you need to be without getting busted. Yesterday was no different.

90% of the time. It was this time. 12 yr old. My fault though didn't know he couldn't lean. Paralyzed within the excitement.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I walk out going we should've or if we only would've. Then spend the rest of the day going why didn't we just.

I decided to wait out the drizzle Saturday am. Had I gone with my gut and hit the woods on time my future daughter in law would have killed her first turkey.

Who knew 5 minutes one way or the other and getting a little wet would make the difference?

I do now.:rolleyes:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Ive called for do-overs many a time all to no avail. Tequila is the answer. ;)

That and beating your head on the proverbial brick wall.:bounce:

Lee Kellogg

I use to believe it was 2x as hard to take my son and have him kill a bird. I now realize that taking a kid turkey hunting is 4x as hard as it is alone. Not only is there the problem he has with being still, even though he is much better now, kids just don't have the experience with handling the gun and shooting it. There is no substitute for the 10,000s of BBs shot with a pellet gun and the cases of shotgun shells that I had as a kid. My son just does not have the opportunity to do this. However, it is those mistakes that make us better hunters if we learn from them.

nick_o_demus

This happened to me on opening day. I guess nerves and excitement took over and I didn't take into consideration the proximity of my target. Literally within 5 yards of my blind... Should have let him walk up the road a ways, but excitement took over... watched the wad of shotgun go right behind his head... So either my sights are off or I didn't account enough for how close he actually was.

My heart met my rear end Saturday morning...

sman

Lee you hit the nail on the head. Kids are harder.

The bb gun statement is spot on. So much to take kids away from the outdoors. We grew up with bb guns. Shooting everyday.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
In regards to turkey hunting, I have had way more than my fair share of should have, would have, could have than I care to to mention.
...The frustrating life of a not so good turkey hunter.

bangbird

I missed one Thursday and then missed one the every next morning on Friday in SC. Then my 7 year old killed his first one with me Saturday morning. That helps but I'm no were near over it yet.

sman

I missed one Thursday and then missed one the every next morning on Friday in SC. Then my 7 year old killed his first one with me Saturday morning. That helps but I'm no were near over it yet.

We followed up our dag nab it moment with the near guillotine shot on a jake. He interfered with the game between us and the big boy and paid the price. Like you that helped ease the lingering a little.

Killdee

Mistakes are good for you, teaches you how to turkey hunt and not make mistakes you made over the years....till the next time you make the same mistakes.