Amendment 1

GThunter5

Another potential disaster if Abrams is elected. Urban hiking trails, inner city parks, WMA converted to biking centers.

Go back and review the history of interstates highway in Georgia - it's not the road, it's who owned the roadway, and the intersections before the road was built.

Plenty of history about why I-85 deviates from it's north-south route to go by Lavonia and on it to Atlanta.

I’ve heard part of the rumor. Something about the whitworth family and the land they still own on the lake. What is the story?

59 bridge is close though to 85 bridge

JackSprat

Long story, beyond my typing skills and patience. Readers Digest - Gov. Vandivier wanted it to go by his hometown of Lavonia, which it did. Many people got well off that decision.

Trade off was to have it go through Atl. Atl. is the only city in the US where three major interstates intersect, and 50 years later you can see the results.

The original plan nationally was for interstates to follow the path of established US highways because most of the engineering studies would have been done.

I-85 generally follows the route of US 29. The original plan had it going through Athens on down to Macon... At the Georgia line, it goes west toward Lavonia. And on into ATL.

You have to put this in the context of no I- 285, and everything north of current 285 was farms.

If the original plan had been followed all tht N-S truck traffic and snowbird migration wouldn't be a part of ATL gridlock.