"America's Top General In Afghanistan Packs An Old School 1911 Pistol".....quick read....neat stuff.

paulito

Good read, Thanks for sharing. The ex Delta General knows what a lot of us know. When your life depends on it, shoot whats comfortable, familiar and what you can consistently hit the target with.......not whats popular and pretty.

Reactions: Dub

rayjay

Reckon he's ever going to be within 50 miles of any real fighting ? :rolleyes: Interview the people doing the fighting, not generals.

GeorgiaBob

Reckon he's ever going to be within 50 miles of any real fighting ? :rolleyes: Interview the people doing the fighting, not generals.

He has a Bronze Star, one with "V," and two Purple Hearts. They generally don't hand those out for paper cuts.

pdsniper

That looks like one of the Custom 45's that Delta had made for them, When my SWAT team was training with them before the 96 Olympics they were just getting them they were real nice pistols, I still carry my STI 2011 in 10mm on call outs

rayjay

He has a Bronze Star, one with "V," and two Purple Hearts. They generally don't hand those out for paper cuts.
Great, where's the interview from that time ?

JeffinPTC

I think anybody In country is "within 50 miles of any real fighting." My Academy roommate, Mike Butler, for example. I saw him at our 30th, he had just retired, and didn't know what to do with himself. He took a job in Iraq and lasted 3 weeks. One of the first things his son, a 2007 grad, did as a 2nd Lt, was to comfort his mother as she accepted the flag. Scroll down to last picture.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/mwbutler.htm

You might have heard of the Cemetery where he is buried.

Big7

The Oracle
The .45 ACP is tried and true. I remember when my Daddy had to go to a 9MM. I don't exactly know why he didn't want to go with the 9 but he was not a happy camper. I still have a half zip bag of his issue .45. They will never be shot while I'm alive.

I'd like to see, and I know it can be done, a CQB Rifle/pistol combo. There is one out that would just about be perfect for me.
The FNH P-90 and the FNH-5 Seven. The down sides are the case neck is a little short and thin, making them hard (but possible) to reload. And the pistol is 1911 size. BUT it will hold 20+1. Ballistics are about right there with 5.56. The rifle is a very compact Bull Pup. So, you have the bbl length+ it's a totally ambidextrous bottom eject. That helps on chasing brass, a problem I've had with a right side ejection. I don't even have a die set for my 9MM's. Just to much trouble. At least with the P-90. Pistol is a side eject. When I can scrape up some cash that the Hen don't know about- I AM GOING TO BUY THE 2 and some dies. About as near to the rifle/pistol/cartridge as I can think of.

Dub

I think anybody In country is "within 50 miles of any real fighting." My Academy roommate, Mike Butler, for example. I saw him at our 30th, he had just retired, and didn't know what to do with himself. He took a job in Iraq and lasted 3 weeks. One of the first things his son, a 2007 grad, did as a 2nd Lt, was to comfort his mother as she accepted the flag. Scroll down to last picture.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/mwbutler.htm

You might have heard of the Cemetery where he is buried.

Great respect for your friend and sorrow for your loss. I can only imagine the pain his wife, a widow, felt knowing she'd lost her husband and her son was stepping into the same profession.

SC Hunter

He went through Ranger school and served with the 3rd 75th. He also went through delta force selection and served with a DELTA force unit. I'm positive the man has seen some combat. As an old Vietnam veteran friend of mine told me one time, "when the time came to shoot or die, I checked that box beside shoot."

rayjay

Often when a small unit is put into impossible situations it's some general moving pins around on a map and telling the Col who tells the LtCol who tells the ......… until finally an LT or Sgt is leading the guys humping the load over terrain that gives every advantage to the enemy. If you want to know what's really happening read the memoirs of the war fighters not the people pursuing the next rung on the ladder.

chase870

Possum Sox
My carry gun is a .45 Its a colt 1991A1 a model of the 1911. It was stolen of a job site in 2001 made it all the way to NYC was used in a crime and recovered. I was able to get my gun back from the Liberal NYPD eventually. It still has some gang bangers initials carved in the grip.

GunnSmokeer

Rayjay, you and Adolph here share the same contempt for general officers.
Overeducated, back-room pencil pushers!
Ever seen the movie "Downfall" with the often-parodied Hitler rant scene?

027A9754-8347-4EE9-AE03-33663CB5AAFF.png