Ananias, with his wife Sapphira

1gr8bldr

This story is given after telling about a man named Joseph whom the apostles called Barnabas. He had with all good intention, we assume, sold a field and gave the money to the church. Now I suspect that word spread concerning what he had done. People were probably thinking what an honorable thing he had done. Well Ananias and his wife were probably envious of this honor that people were crediting to Barnabas so they manipulated a plan in which no intention was for good, all they were doing was trying to buy that same honor for half price. Why were they killed, I can't say but I suspect that it was a sign to the early church. I actually think although I don't care to explain that it is the same context when Paul said "this is why many of you have fallen asleep"

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
This story is given after telling about a man named Joseph whom the apostles called Barnabas. He had with all good intention, we assume, sold a field and gave the money to the church. Now I suspect that word spread concerning what he had done. People were probably thinking what an honorable thing he had done. Well Ananias and his wife were probably envious of this honor that people were crediting to Barnabas so they manipulated a plan in which no intention was for good, all they were doing was trying to buy that same honor for half price. Why were they killed, I can't say but I suspect that it was a sign to the early church. I actually think although I don't care to explain that it is the same context when Paul said "this is why many of you have fallen asleep"

Great point.

StriperAddict

Consider the mercy of God.
Also consider that the first church was composed of folks following an outcast and criminal...and a threat to Rome (the world).
What they knew of Jesus and the church is far different than most of us have yet experienced...we follow a Jesus whose name is posted on billboards and fills the airwaves...who is accepted as "nice".
They were relatively untainted by the thousands of years of hypocrisy, compromise, distortion, and religious pollutions.
They were introducing hypocrisy to something whose beginnings were pure.
God looks at us with great pity for having little experience of the power they tasted and for being born into something that is, for the most part, still to be escaped.
God is merciful.
He doesn't blame us for not knowing better.

Excellent point(s) as well.

Fot the times I DID know better and chose the wrong path, I'm making restitution. The prayerful digging into those old things is painful, but worth every pound of guilt off my shoulders to make it right. My bad that the change of heart was 'delayed'.

The things the Acts story teach us is to make ammends right quick. Consider Zacchaeus in Luke 19.