And so... the 2019 campaign begins

Jim Boyd

350 yards down a cut over.

Turn and go into shaded creek bottom, some bugs but more shaded in here.

So comes the beginning.

Stand is not tall but it is a Cadillac.

Jim Boyd

First critters.

15 mins in.

Heard them as soon as I sat down.

F5AF2CFA-3F53-4AA2-BB55-6C6D0EBF3672.jpeg

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I do believe that's the 1st time I've ever seen a deer hunter sitting a stand in flip flops.
??

Jim Boyd

I do believe that's the 1st time I've ever seen a deer hunter sitting a stand in flip flops.
??

Yeah, I normally have on a decent pair of flip flops - this pair is more like a set of shower flip flops we wore in the military but they were all I had with me.

It was that or wear my sneakers and I did not want to put on socks.

If the grass is wet for morning hunts, I put on rubbber boots - it is not as hot in the am.

I did see a doe that cut my trail and get nervous and leave though... that would not have happened with rubber boots.

Jim Boyd

Are the mosquitos bad

Lee,

I lit my Tcell at the truck and I did not get bitten a single time.

And, I was down in a creek bottom.

Strangely, I had a light breeze down in there and after I cooled down from the walk in, it was not unpleasant at all.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I normally have on a decent pair of flip flops - this pair is more like a set of shower flip flops we wore in the military but they were all I had with me.

It was that or wear my sneakers and I did not want to put on socks.

If the grass is wet for morning hunts, I put on rubbber boots - it is not as hot in the am.
I couldn't do that. Quite fearful of poisonous things that slither on the ground. ??

Jim Boyd

I couldn't do that. Quite fearful of poisonous things that slither on the ground. ??

OK, I see....

That is a concern but I am darn sure not wearing heavy snake boots til we get a frost - my feet would roast alive.

I was careful going in but it was daylight. Was a little more careful coming out as it got dark!

We don’t have any diamondbacks and our canebrakes, moccasins and copperheads are pretty reasonable.

Last thing my wife told me on the phone was not “good luck” - it was “don’t get snake-bit”!