Another Day Well-spent in the Smokies

whitetailfreak

I may have fished those recently myself ?. Great pics NCH, but please, no books about fly fishing the Smokies?

Last edited:

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well, they were here aplenty until we killed all of them. There are lots of Elk Mountains, and suchlike place names around here.

I knew they had been re-stocked into Appalachia but I think of Elk as a rocky mountain critter. If they are thriving in NC I would think the N GA mountains might work for them too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I may have fished those recently myself ?. Great pics NCH, but please, no books about fly fishing the Smokies?
I know a couple fellers already I'd like to choke....

I knew they had been re-stocked into Appalachia but I think of Elk as a rocky mountain critter. If they are thriving in NC I would think the N GA mountains might work for them too.
The Rockies were just their last stronghold after they were wiped out everywhere else. They ranged from coast to coast, including most of GA above the gnat line, along with buffalo, until they were wiped out by the market hunters in the early 1800s.

They have done well here. The only problems they have faced have been deer brainworms, bear predation on calves, and their fondness for destroying hayfields and cornfields. There have been a lot killed here in my county by farmers.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
More good stuff NCH!! Thanks!!