Another Monster Bluegill

duckbill

IMG_0247 by Bill Moore, on Flickr

Caught this foot long beast on my little 2wt rod. What a battle that was. Hooked into about 30 big ones. A few of them managed to get into the grass because the little rod just couldn't hold 'em, but otherwise it did great. Tons of fun and I took a few home for lunch:flag:

Bream Pole

Glad to know you are enjoying the 2 wt I replaced it with a fiberglass cabela's 3 wt that is 5'9" that I love. No bream the size of that big one however. what you casting, yellow poppers or . . .?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Bet that was fun on the ole 2 wt!

duckbill

Glad to know you are enjoying the 2 wt I replaced it with a fiberglass cabela's 3 wt that is 5'9" that I love. No bream the size of that big one however. what you casting, yellow poppers or . . .?

Yep. A yellow number 8 Boogle Amnesia Bug (surface fly)

duckbill

Got another monster this morning

Man, the little 2wt is earning it's keep. This fish is the 3rd giant in as many trips. To give an idea of size, those other fish are 10-11"

IMG_0258 by Bill Moore, on Flickr

ASH556

You know, I was just reading where the IGFA length record for Bluegill is only 10". You have a world record Bluegill there. You ought to submit it.

I caught one like that last year jigging for crappie. When I set the hook he put a serious bend on that jig pole. 11 inches long. Would love to catch one on the fly rod.

fishndoc

If the GMO scientists ever come up with a Bluegill that will reliably grow to 4 lbs, bass and trout will be forgotten.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Big ole' black un's are the order of the day
around Avon Park. :D

I used to catch em like that in the St Johns and Lake Crescent back in the mid 70s.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If the GMO scientists ever come up with a Bluegill that will reliably grow to 4 lbs, bass and trout will be forgotten.

And swimming will become much less common......