Another Newbie Question

AllTerrainAngler

As my other questions suggest I'm new to flyfishing for trout. I have an 8 and 12wt and now I"m looking for a decent 4-5wt without breaking the bank. I've ordered so many flies that I've learned about here and while fishing in north ga. I cheated a little and this past weekend tied 4lb mono on my 8wt leader and used a wooly bugger and prince nymph, both with good luck. Since I have ordered tellico nymphs, prince nymphs, yaller hammers, caddis spawn, copper johns, etc. Soon I will be moving to the Atlanta area where Ill have much more access to North Ga and would really like to find a decent inexpensive fly rod outfit to get me started but also last a little while. With my current job i get a significant discount from Abel Reels, Ross Reels, and Cheeky fly fishing so those are options or if anyone is interested in reels I'd be more than willing to share,

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Cabela's Rod and Reel combos are good setups for the money IMO.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
A good 5 wt. will serve you well here on the Hooch too IMO.

gunnurse

As Metro Trout stated, both Cabela’s and BassPro have good entry level outfits. They have the rod, reel, backing, and line all in one. All of these are as balanced to each other as much as you can get. Maybe I’m wrong, but these outfits fulfill the needs of about 90% of fly fishers.

pesce

Check out Echo fly rods. Watch some of the videos on YouTube by the owner, Tim Rajeff. His philosophy on making high quality equipment that's accessible to most folks is inspiring. But most importantly, I loved the 4 wt I bought so much that I went back this week for an 8 wt.

AllTerrainAngler

Check out Echo fly rods. Watch some of the videos on YouTube by the owner, Tim Rajeff. His philosophy on making high quality equipment that's accessible to most folks is inspiring. But most importantly, I loved the 4 wt I bought so much that I went back this week for an 8 wt.

I've heard a lot of good about the echos. I've been trying to find soemthing used because I currently live on the coast so trout fishing isn't going to be an everyday thing. I will soon be moving to atlanta though so I'm on the fence,

Bream Pole

Cabela's or TFO if buying new. Sometimes can find higher level rods for a good price on Ebay some with and some without reels. Line is everything, as you probably know; so don't skimp out there. The Cabela's lines are good, and I have a couple of their reels. My choice would be find a higher end Cabela's on sale. Frequently they mark them down and you can buy a combo at a great price.

Latest posts