Another Question??

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Since turkey season is right around the corner, I was wondering this.

Some other members and myself were debating on putting out some high protein feed for the deer. We don't think turkey's eat the feed, but say we put only the protein pellets out and kept them out during turkey season, could one of us get a ticket for "baiting" even though turkeys don't even eat it??

Tommy

specialk

i personally would not take the chance. if you do put the feed down get it up 2 weeks before turkey season starts. there are some gun-ho young rangers out there itching to write tickets........

GeauxLSU

Thomas Lackey said:
could one of us get a ticket for "baiting" even though turkeys don't even eat it??
Probably so. If you feel the need and have the layout, just don't hunt near it. Better yet, since you never know where the birds will take you, just don't put it out at all. Much more relaxing that way. :)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

GrandSlamHunter

I asked a LE ranger friend of mine this question last year. He posed the question to a state biologist. The answer was that even though turkeys probably don't eat the pellets, the pellets contain some ingredients that turkeys will eat (soybeans, etc.). Therefore the pellets are considered a bait for turkeys.

This makes it really difficult to supplemental feed high protein when the deer need it most and hunt turkeys. I have kept game cameras on trough feeders with pellets from Jan. thru Sept. in areas that are eat up with turkeys and have never seen one eating from, hardly ever walking close to, the feeder.

GSH

H

HT2

Tommy......

Even though I don't hunt them "BIG CHICKENS".......I wouldn't take a chance on it......