Another Youth Weekend Success Story!

Huntinfool

I've pretty much been waiting for this day since sometime in mid-2008 when the ultra-sound tech looked at us and said "it's a boy!". So this post COULD be about 3 pages long because I could talk about it that much. But, I'll spare you most of the dad gushing and just tell the story.

My son is 9 now and he loves to hunt. He's killed three deer, but we've struck out on turkeys. Those of you who know me know that, if I could only hunt one thing for the rest of my life, it would be an eastern wild turkey. So not having any success with him has been frustrating to say the least.

Yesterday, all that changed. We had been going out to listen all week and all week 3-5 gobblers have been firing off on this property. Of course, the turkeys know what day is opening day and Saturday was totally silent.

We decided to go back out Sunday morning and again...silence. We ended up hearing one gobble, but that was it. He was getting tired of sitting in one spot and I kept trying to convince him that they could be coming and just not making any noise.

But I gave in and said we could go peek around the corner at another plot just to see if anything was out there. As we rounded the corner, two birds fired up about 300 yards away. So we ran back to our spot (I had left the decoys and everything set up) and sat down. Two minutes later, they popped out of the woods up on a hill and I knew they would see the decoys.

Once they saw them, it was all over. Over the next 5 excruciating minutes, they walked straight over those 300 yards, into the food plot and walked straight to the decoys.

My man smashed one at 12 steps with his grandfather's inherited probably 50 year old single shot .410. Pop told him he has to give him half the meat since he used his gun!

The very last part we got on video. Of course, I wasn't looking at the phone at all. Just concentrating on the birds. But it turned out really good anyway!

Best turkey hunt of my entire life. Thanks again to my friend who let us hunt this property. My wife killed a giant bird out there 7 years ago and now my son has gotten his first (and I've killed...1 or 2 out there as well).

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

Last edited:

wvdawg

Staff member
Way to go young man! Congrats!

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
That's awesome!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Awesome. Takes me back to my sons first turkey. Congrats.

turkeykirk

Way to go!

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Good stuff right there..Congrats to you both.

Gut_Pile

Best text I got all day yesterday.

So pumped for you and your son bud!

Congrats again

deast1988

Fantastic, emotion on the film bird got crushed. What kind of .410 and load you set up for him?