Antler points

Al33

Not sure what the real ones looked like the Indians made, but here are a couple of mine.

Wasn't going to bother posting these, but golly, it sure has been slow in this forum as of late.:huh: Y'all need to get busy posting some pic's of your works or Delton and I are gonna get laid off.:( ;)

Attachments

• antlerpoints1.jpg
    antlerpoints1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 274

gadeerwoman

Blast it, do you boys ever do real office work? You just keep posting those beautiful points and tools and wood burnings. :p
As always I have no idea how you do this stuff, but it just gets better and better. If I were an Indian I'd be mighty proud to use one of those on anything even if it was just for show.

stev

Banned
Al33 said:
Not sure what the real ones looked like the Indians made, but here are a couple of mine.

Wasn't going to bother posting these, but golly, it sure has been slow in this forum as of late.:huh: Y'all need to get busy posting some pic's of your works or Delton and I are gonna get laid off.:( ;)
rae u giong to tup mhet on redac sctiks?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Now ain`t those the neatest things!! They look better than the ones the Indians made! :cool:

Give me another week or two and I`ll start makin` and postin` stuff again.

Al33

stev said:
are you going to put them on cedar sticks?
I will likely mount them on some cane shafts with turkey wing feathers tied on with sinew. Have to find some good cane first.

bam-bam, I used a high speed rotary tool (Foredom) with a carbide bit, my belt sander, and a real small bit in another high speed rotoray tool for the edges. I know, that's not how the indians did it but it sure made making them a lot easier and quicker.;)
The wider one came from an antler tip that was slightly palmated.

Thanks again folks, glad you like 'em.:)

Greg Tench

Man Al !!!! Youre on the top of the totem pole when it comes to carvin, and makin points.:clap:

Handgunner

Looks mighty fine, Al!

You have a PM. ;)

reddwil

Now thems nice, But I have had enough of this. Al you or Nic..need to start a class to teach some of us knuckleheads. I would love to learn how to make points.

Great work:banana:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Antler Points

Prehistoric Americans made their antler points by cutting the tips of the tines. Ground them to a very sharp round point, then drilled a hole in from the back to fit the shaft.

Attachments

• collect29.jpg
    collect29.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 142

Al33

Thanks Son! As I suspected mine are not accurate replicas for antler points. Thanks for the pic and explanation which will help me if I decide to do more.:clap:

EON

Now that's cool, I'd never heard of points made from Antlers but it makes perfect since. Guess I'm not to old to learn something new.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Al, here`s a couple of my antler points. They ain`t purty, but they will give small game and Spanish Conquistadors in chain mail a bad day! :D

No sinew is needed, just pitch glue to hold it in place.

Attachments

• MVC-115F.JPG
    MVC-115F.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 131