Ants in trail cam

LaGarron85

Checked cam cards today dang camera full of ants this is the second time they have done it it drives me crazy anybody ever had ant problem any ideas to stop them

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Put a good score of this Terro liquid ant bait on the back of the camera or close by where they will find it. It will get rid of them. I've had to do this on several tree stands of mine... Dang things will take over anything they can find!
Available at Home Depot...Screenshot_20181114-202056.png

Man that stinks! I've had them get in my electrical outlet on my security light telephone pole more than once. Keeps tearing up my GFI outlet. Not sure what to tell you. Maybe move the camera deeper in the woods and off the field edge. Thinking the ants like to have their nests in the sun. FWIW

When I was in HVAC work, they were my worst enemy. they are attracted by ozone given of by electrical contacts arching on opening and closing.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Any place that's dry during a lot of rain, they'll find it. I've seen them take over a truck. lol

Davexx1

Take some full strength pesticide such as Permethrin 10% and using a Qtip, dab/wipe the chemical around the outside of the camera where it contacts the tree or mount and/or strap mounts. I also wipe the chemical down in behind the door latch and all the little cracks and crevices in the camera case. This keeps ants and tiny spiders off the camera. Once insects get inside the camera, it is usually toast.

Before you open the camera, wipe off any water/moisture from around the door and gasket seal, check for insects too.

Dave

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Over the past 8 plus years of using trailcams, I have only had that problem about 3 times. After realizing that ants love your cameras, I then decided to start using a can of RAID Ant and Roach killer and first spray around the bottom 12" of the tree that the camera was located and also another complete circle around the tree at about 6-8" below the location of the camera. This has worked for me for several years now as I haven't encountered anymore problems as such.

The actual smell of this product doesn't bother the deer and other critters either, as many times, they will show up only a couple of hours after you change out the cards and leave the woods. Probably 90 % of the time when I change out the cards, I am also wearing cologne as well and it doesn't seem to bother the deer very much either as I honestly believe that they have become accustomed to me being in the woods over the years and not being too much of a threat to them.

00Beau

I spray Home Defense at base of the tree , around the tree trunk and outside of cameras.

mossyoakpro

Run a bead of Vaseline around the cover of your camera...I use the lip balm stuff that comes in the tube. Easy to keep in the truck and works just fine.