Any big trips planned for 2018?

175rltw

October in Idaho. I’ll be out there flyfishing in June with a bear tag in my pocket but June is tough if you don’t have bait going. Then northern Michigan earlyteal, goose, grouse, firearms deer.

Last edited:
The only hunts you can do this year in Wyoming if you didn’t draw won’t penalize you for being fat. That’s like leftover doe antelope etc.
The draw hasn’t happened for Wyoming for at least antelope and Muleys.

175rltw

The draw hasn’t happened for Wyoming for at least antelope and Muleys.
Good catch. If you don’t / didn’t. But it doesn’t change the reality on the ground in Wyoming which is that he hunts you can / could do in a whim aren’t overly taxing physically.

My point remains- Plenty of The (very very limited amount) of stuff your going to do over the counter or with 0 points in Wyoming is reasonable for a fat guy.

Hawken2222

I drew an Elk tag in Wyoming and I am puting in for late muzzle loader in Iowa

Thread starter #26

deers2ward

Sounds like some awesome trips. I hope everyone will post up a report with pics when they get back

Are any of you western hunters backpacking in (vs. horses), and if so, what are you doing to train to get ready for the physical aspect?

Hi all! First post and so far finding some great information on this forum. Moved to GA 9 months ago.

While it may not compare to the scale of some of the other trips mentioned here, Im planning on putting in alot of scouting for bear, deer, hog, and also furbearer season in Cohutta WMA. As someone used to driving 20 minutes and walking no more than 1/2 mile into relatively flat woods for deer (although I am in really good shape from trail running mountains), it is a huge step up for me to drive an hour of asphalt and another of dirt and have to do overnights at the least in order to get any good hunting time in. Very excited to start exploring up there.

175rltw

I backpack in. Have never had an outfitter. North Georgia will get your in shape for anything. If you use it like you mean it. There’s nothing steeper, nothing with worse blowdown. Elevation will be a factor in Colorado moreso than elsewhere- plenty placesout west you can operate from 1700-7000 or so feet a and if you’ve spent your weekends above 2k backpacking into and exploring in the steep and have a daily fitness routine that involves cardio and MSE you will readily adapt to the elevation. the only thing that prepares you for carry big weight up or down the steep is doing it.

Thread starter #30
I backpack in. Have never had an outfitter. North Georgia will get your in shape for anything. If you use it like you mean it. There’s nothing steeper, nothing with worse blowdown. Elevation will be a factor in Colorado moreso than elsewhere- plenty placesout west you can operate from 1700-7000 or so feet a and if you’ve spent your weekends above 2k backpacking into and exploring in the steep and have a daily fitness routine that involves cardio and MSE you will readily adapt to the elevation. the only thing that prepares you for carry big weight up or down the steep is doing it.
Yeah, I wish had some mountains around. I have been spending alot of time on the stair stepper. Squats, lunges, leg presses, pullups.......On weekends I put 40-50# of sand in my pack and hike the local parking garage stairwells 60 - 90 minutes at a time. I know I'm going to get humbled no matter what I do, but figure whatever I do is better than if I didn't.

175rltw

Yeah, I wish had some mountains around. I have been spending alot of time on the stair stepper. Squats, lunges, leg presses, pullups.......On weekends I put 40-50# of sand in my pack and hike the local parking garage stairwells 60 - 90 minutes at a time. I know I'm going to get humbled no matter what I do, but figure whatever I do is better than if I didn't.
Reaheasal is pretty crucial. If you can get comfortable away from the rivers and streams camping alone up a ridge you’ll be ahead of the game. To my mind the way is to go as often as you can- and don’t worry about success. It’s always humbling. Successful, or orherwise. If this new format supports pics a little easier I’ll throw up a bunch of stuff later. Full disclosure- I grew up a Georgia boy but moved to Washington state in the late 90s and then New Mexico and lived in AK 08-13. I’m back in savanah now and use that loose sand in the beach to ruck- or donstadiums at my sons school. But I still get up to the TVD whenever it’s even slightly possible.

Results just came out and my wife and I drew buck antelope tags in Wyoming. DIY trip for us and looking forward to it.

Just got the greenlight from the wife to do a deer hunt in PA the week after Thanksgiving.. My wife's uncle has a cabin southeast of Pittsburgh. I just need to work out the details(drive vs fly, when to come in, etc.)