Any Ford 5.4 V8 Triton owners on here?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
**UPDATE**

Found a shop in Clarkston that does the lockout job on F150 Triton V8's on a regular basis. He said they do a couple a week. Talked to the owner and felt like he was very familiar with the issues. Went ahead and took it in for him to do the lockout.

One thing he does is go ahead and remove the timing cover and inspect everything, instead of using the wedge to hold the timing chain in place (with timing cover in place). One of the guides was broken (so all guides got replaced), but tensioners, chain and oil pump all looked fine.

Picked it up today, and seems to be running smooth. No knocking/diesel chug at startup, the ticking is gone, and seems to run smooth. We shall see how it goes in the long run.

Saved almost $2k over having the full timing job.

Anyone looking for someone to bullet-proof their Triton V8, give Almost Auto Service in Clarkston a call. Ask for Sonny.

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
So he pulled the front cover and you didn’t put the new oil pump on while in there? Its the reason behind all the failures. Thats one corner I wouldn’t have cut.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
So he pulled the front cover and you didn’t put the new oil pump on while in there? Its the reason behind all the failures. Thats one corner I wouldn’t have cut.

I talked to him about it (and originally intended to have him replace it), but with the cam phasers and VCT solenoids no longer needing the oil to operate properly, he recommended not spending the money. He said everything looked good and there was no signs the pump wasn't working properly. The reason behind the failures was not the pump going bad, but the pump not having enough pressure to keep the solenoids and phasers operating properly.

Who knows. I may regret that down the road.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The 5.4 in my 08 F250 gave up the ghost at 150000 miles.

Still owed $2000 on the truck, and was not happy...

Options were not good. Fix it for 3500, Used engine for 4000, new engine for 5k...

Went crying to my banker looking for a graceful way out, and he said...

If you didn't have a truck, and we're looking, and you found yours on a lot with a new engine for 7k, would you buy it??

Well...Yes, I said. I like my ol truck.

Go write the check, he said.

So I did, and got a new motor with upgrade parts, drilled out oil galleys, and a hi-flow oil pump.

It hurt my feelings at the time, but it's paid for now, and I would do it again.

Sometimes, a different perspective is all that's needed.