Any Guess on how much line out for my Umbrella Rig?

Millberry

Wish to troll 20#mono line with 5 arm umbrella rig with each arm having a 3/8 oz. bucktail jig. Guessing total weight of rig at 3.50 oz. I know I probably need to add weight or get lead core, but right now I hate letting out way over 200 feet of line- probably 250 ft.- just to barely get below thermocline (25-27 feet) on Lanier.
I will take any wild guesses as to adding weight or what. Hate slowing down below 2.5 mph. Is 2 mph too slow? add a 2 oz. weight to rig or near it? Do I HAVE to be below thermocline? Help.

Last edited:

Q2gyro

Use leadcore, Big striper will take 20lb to the trees quick so be careful that light. Mack Farr rigs have a chart on the back to help if you go to 40lb mono.

The thermocline is not always the bite location. I go with where I am marking the bait with fish. Good luck!

Millberry

I only have 2 good rod/reels. I use them to downline my herring. I guess I could put 40# line on one and use it either way. Thanks folks.

red neck richie

Watch your graph. You will have to adjust accordingly. You can lose a lot of umbrella rigs in a hurry in the trees. Reel up as needed it might save you a few rigs.

Millberry

Thanks

across the river

I would second the lead core. You can get a pen trolling rod/reel combo for $75 buck or less. Buy that, spool with lead core, put a 20lb leader on in, and go troll. Waaaay easier than a downriver, and you don't have to always fishing a heavy umbrellas rig to troll. Loosing an umbrella rig or two in the tree tops gets expensive, and honestly, I've had just as much success pulling single lures on lead core as I have on umbrella rigs.

The mtn man

Dipsy divers are great.

Millberry

Thanks guys----so much---Will try both suggestions.

Millberry

thanks !!!!! -a lot. My desired outcome is simple. I don't want to drive so far and spend so much on live bait.

Last edited:

Latest posts