Any trick to shipping a rifle to an FFL via the Postal Service?

GAHUNTER60

Sold my high end safari rifle through the internet. When the cashiers check arrives, I will ship the rifle to his FFL in Montana. In the past, I've always used UPS, but he suggested the Post office as a more cost effective method of shipping.

Anybody ever ship via the post office. Anything I should know before trying?

GregoryB.

I shipped several guns to AZ when going out there on trips. Just packed in a Plano hard case wrapped in brown paper and shipped it insured with delivery confirmation. No issues.

GAHUNTER60

Well, considering that the package weighs over 20 pounds with the hard-sided case I have it packed in, I might have a difficult time convincing the agent that its just a barrel!

The gun is a .458 Lott elephant thumper, which means it's at the opposite end of he spectrum from your 6.5 CM mountain rifle!

GAHUNTER60

Well, I shipped the rifle today via UPS, after striking out with the post office. The postal clerk first told me I could only ship it if I broke it into two pieces, and was totally dismissive of my explanation that this is not that kind of gun. Then she said I had to be an FFL myself in order to ship a firearm to an FFL, which is not true.

Realizing I was getting nowhere fast, I told her to forget it, and drove the 18 miles to the UPS Customer Service Center on Pleasantdale Road, and walked out five minutes later with a tracking number.

That's the difference between private enterprise and government bureaucracy. I can't wait until the same bunch gets hold of 100 percent of our health care!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I just shipped an Anschutz to a fella in NC through the USPS. Clip-N-Ship label with delivery signature capture applied before arival...dropped it at the Post Office and out the door 4 minutes.

nope I don't have an FFL

drumbum77

Banned
I actually tried to ship a Nikon Monarch scope at the UPS store today and they said they couldn't print the shipping label because the item attached to a firearm! :LOL::rofl:

GAHUNTER60

Yeah, UPS Stores are a franchise that operate under different rules from UPS. One of those rules is they will not ship firearms or firearm parts, including scopes. However, I have shipped scopes to both Vortex and Leopold back to the factory through my local UPS Store by labeling the boxes Telescopes. I also sent a rifle barrel to E.R Shaw by calling it "machine parts."

To ship s firearm, you have to go directly to a UPS Customer Service Center.

Last edited:
Well, I shipped the rifle today via UPS, after striking out with the post office. The postal clerk first told me I could only ship it if I broke it into two pieces, and was totally dismissive of my explanation that this is not that kind of gun. Then she said I had to be an FFL myself in order to ship a firearm to an FFL, which is not true.

Realizing I was getting nowhere fast, I told her to forget it, and drove the 18 miles to the UPS Customer Service Center on Pleasantdale Road, and walked out five minutes later with a tracking number.

That's the difference between private enterprise and government bureaucracy. I can't wait until the same bunch gets hold of 100 percent of our health care!

If I may, I'd recommend a phone call to the local Postmaster. In today's world, incompetence such as that, costing you a couple hours' time, money and also not allowing the USPS the opportunity for business as the lose billions of dollars, is unacceptable.

I always ship UPS, unless it's a gun shipped to Alaska. Sorry for your troubles!!

nmurph

Why didn't you whip out your phone and go to the USPS website. You could have educated that clerk and gotten your gun shipped, all in one stop.

GAHUNTER60

That's exactly what I tried to tell her! I was not in the mood for a fight, though, so I just took my business where I knew it was wanted!

Tom W.

I shipped a Ruger#1B from Alabama to a FFL in new Hampshire some years ago. Prior to leaving the house I printed up the USPS regs from the website. The guy first said I couldn't, but I had the regs in my hand. He got his book down and looked it up. He then looked at me and said it would be best to insure the rifle for full value........
The strange thing is the guy I sent it to finally admitted that he couldn't do what I wanted, so I had him send it on his dime to a gunsmith in Selma, Alabama. A week after he got the rifle the post office brought it to my door.....