Any Walleye tips

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was with a guy last year on Lanier when he caught one near Little Ridge. Caught it on a crank bank throwing it up on a hump, it was in April and the water temps were in the 70-72 range. Guy said he catches a couple every year the same way around the same time.
Around here, April is the time to catch them on the banks. They come out of the spawning rivers and hit the clay banks pretty hard for a few weeks, then they head out to open water. While they're on the banks, you can catch them on shad raps, curlytail grubs, nightcrawlers, and such.

Teh Wicked

Around here, April is the time to catch them on the banks. They come out of the spawning rivers and hit the clay banks pretty hard for a few weeks, then they head out to open water. While they're on the banks, you can catch them on shad raps, curlytail grubs, nightcrawlers, and such.

I plan on taking advantage of that information this year

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Look for windy red clay banks with a mudline. They'll often be right up in the edge of it.

lampern

NC reportedly is stocking walleye in Lake Chatuge now.

That’s up in the mtns but another place to try.

I wish walleye tolerated warm water so they could be stocked many more places. They are tasty

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Got lucky in Dec 2016 up in Bald Ridge Marina on a herring on downline. Close to 7lbs. Probably the only one ill ever catch. Was tasty
The funny part: I've caught thousands of them. Literally. I used to walleye fish a lot, and considered it a bad night if the two of us in my boat didn't limit out. The limit is eight here. I have never in my life caught a walleye anywhere near that big.

blam65

Went to Rabun today. Caught 2 bass,2 perch and a crappie but no walleye. We tried down rods with herring and night crawlers and tried trolling big crank baits. This was my 1st trip but my friends 4th bust. He's on a mission to catch one.
When i lived in Ohio we trolled for walleye very slow or drifted with a drift sock. Using green erie dearies and a big fat night crawler that we needled air into the body. Or used a walleye rig with a sinker on a swivel and then a two foot mono lead with two pill floats and a hook with a air needled night crawler as a trailer.

greg_n_clayton

The video of them pulling planer boards ain't Tugalo. Rabun maybe or head of Burton.