Anybody Fish for Carp?

olcaptain

As I stated in my first post, I have a group of friends who fish for Carp. We are always seeking new spots and venues. If you know of any within a reasonable distance from Lithia Springs we would appreciate some help and advice.

Thanks,

Horace

Jkidd

The lower lake at Carters has a lot of carp in it or did a few years ago. I was fishing it late spring and seen some fish busting early in the morning and thought it was bass but it was carp spawning I bet there was 400 of them in all size ranges.

Jason

olcaptain

Thanks. I hope we can get some more replies as well.

ramblinrack

olcaptain...we used to fish at hales lake on e conley road between cedar grove and moreland ave in weekend carp tourneys. that was a few years ago and i'm not sure if its still operating but...they had some sho nuff monsters in there who could drag you in the lake. maybe someone who still lives in that area could give you more info. btw, welcome to woody's!

enviroguy

Carters Lake & Coosawattee River

Olcaptain,

Used to live in the Gilmer/Fannin Co. area and fished the Coosawattee/Cartecay River and upper Carters Lake waters extensively. There are lots of fish in the 10 - 15 lb. range although the bite can be tough at times. My personal best in the area is 13lb-7oz, but I've had 20 lb mono busted more than once. I actually had one fish strip 100 yds of 30 lb spiderwire and all the backer off a Shimano baitcaster and never even slow down! I've also lost a brand new rod and reel, when the big ones bite, they immediately begin their run... If you ain't holding on, or have the rod in a secure holder, you're gonna loose it!

By the way, I'm new and this is my first post... Howdy!

enviroguy

HMwolfpup

Thanks!

I took a long look through the threads before registering. It struck me that you folks are very polite to one another and differing views aren't frowned upon. I wanted to reply to Olcaptain's thread because I don't know a lot of folks who fish carp around here. I've seen BIG carp thrown on the bank to die because "purist" game fishermen consider them trash fish.

Oops! kind of got off topic there. Anyway, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring with the 'captain.

Mossy0ak270

I fished Lanier one night off a boat dock and we caught 26 carp. This was on a summer night a couple years ago. We went out for cats and caught the fire out of them carp instead and I loved it! :cool: We caught maybe 10 cats, but I'll admit dragging in the big carp was a blast. I had a 15 lb scale and it maxed several times so I know some were alot bigger than that. We were in a cove that a buddy of mine lives on.

stickflinger

Lake Hartwell Carp

We have alot of carp on hartwell, but we mostly go after them with bows. From May to September, the shallower the water the better. Our motto is, fish with the bait that bites back. :flag: :cool:

bradpatt03

my dad has the unofficial state record accordin to GON. they are supposed to do a story on it soon. it weighed about 53 lbs. (grass carp). funny thing is he caught it on a deep diver on accident by snaggin it in the tail