Anybody make a 12ga muzzleloading sxs?

rubicon_in_ga

I've read about the old Navy Arms 12ga sxs shotguns available back in the 70's, and a few no names or one-off companies that would occasionally make a 12ga sxs, but seems the only ones available these days are from Pedersoli and cost upwards of $1200+. It's nearly impossible to find the Navy Arms smoke poles, even on the auction sites.

I'm a cheap gun guy. I like the no-names, the underdogs, the runts of the litter that nobody else wants. I don't own a single safe queen of any kind, and have no intentions of spending thousands on a gun. Does anybody know of a company that makes new 12ga side by side muzzle loaders (preferably exposed hammer, and not anything inline that requires 209 primers) for under $500 these days?

My last resort is reloading regular shotgun shells using black powder and shooting out of my single shot NEF Pardner, but I've always wanted a true muzzleloading sxs.

White Horse

I don’t know of any currently manufactured muzzle loading double 12 except for the expensive Pedersoli you mentioned. Check with Dixie Gun Works to see if they might have a used one. Also go to Deer Creek Gun Shop in Marietta. They often have used front stuffers at great prices.

I used to shoot an antique 13 gauge percussion double that was a lot of fun. I hunted both dove and quail with it, as well as firing solid balls, though I never did hunt with them. After many years shooting the old double a fellow made me a serious financial offer for it that I just couldn’t turn down.

GunnSmokeer

If you want the experience of muzzle-loading, can you just buy an exposed-hammer SxS shotgun made for modern 3" shells and then TREAT IT LIKE A MUZZLE-LOADER, by putting cut-down 12 ga. primed hulls in there, with the plastic cut away where the brass ends? Then you can pour your powder down the muzzle, wad it (if necessary), add the shot charge, finish with more wadding or a cardboard disc (whatever, I don't know), and you're ready to go.

Might want to put a strip of cloth or something between the hammers and the firing pins, for safety, since you'd be loading an already-primed / capped gun.

GunnSmokeer

cim1878cg-26_1_6.webp

This Cimarron "coach gun" comes in a 26" barrel version (not just the more common 20 inch) and costs $550. I hear that Rossi and a couple of Chinese brands have dog-ear hammer guns too, at affordable prices.

crackerdave

I have a Diablo sxs 6" barrels in 12 ga.Made by American Gun Crafters.It's fun to shoot but hard to clean.
Black powder is fun!

flconch53

Look Around CVA used make a 12 GA side by side. I found 1 in a pawn shop years ago. Most will need a little TLC but I shot mine for doves and clay birds. It was fun. As to the no inline comments ya'll realize that the old double barrels were inline ignition. The nipple sat right on the powder charge no corners to go around. Just used a regular percussion cap.

TarponStalker

I was given a 12 ga sxs Navy Arms shotgun. It’s a national wild turkey federation anniversary model. Im told it’s actually made by either Pederisoli or Pietta. Sorry I can’t remember which.

JR924

My brother says their is a cheap insert made you can put in a regular break open shotgun that looks like a shotgun shell but allows you to add a 209 primer and use the gun like a regular blackpowder muzzleloader. Suppose to send me a link.

Anvil Head

I made a 12ga flinter to hunt with back in the early 70's. Was a hoot on the dove fields. Made everyone mad at me cause I could up load for the late day high fliers and still take them, but the smoke drift would flare the rest of the birds (if there were more than one). Pop used to fuss at me, but secretly thought it was funny to aggravate all the high dollar shooters (shooters not hunters - most couldn't hit the inside of a bucket with it draped over their muzzle).
Biggest drawback was the occasional brush fire in the field scrub when the smoldering wadding made it to the ground. Happened more than once. Had to be quick with big feet.
Gun is long gone, sold it while working in SC Low country to a duck hunter. Never should have but did.

JR924

My brother went ahead and bought me the blackpowder insert for my 12 gauge break open shotgun. Looks like a stainless steel breach plug. He also sent me a 28 gauge adapter for my 12 gauge from the same place. The website is gunadapters.com. Company is called Short Lane. Thinking I need to buy some 12 gauge wads and shot. Have to use loose powder so thinking 100 grains of triple 7.

Hillbilly stalker

Dave Canterbury has several videos on you tube about using a single barrel as a black powder shotgun. I believe he uses sheep’s wool for wadding. He has ALOT of info on the subject.

rubicon_in_ga

Well I've actually done that, the whole shotgun shells reloaded with black powder, but the idea of plugging the breech of a modern shotgun, or using the brass part of a shotgun hull and changing out 209 primers just to use as a muzzleloader doesn't really appeal to me.

I may end up just getting a modern sxs, like maybe a Stoeger Uplander or Coach Gun and just use blackpowder reloaded shells until the deal of the century on a true muzzle loading sxs comes up. Ah well. I can always dream. :)

flintlock hunter

My old hunting pardner had a few serious strokes, and he's moved to Florida now, but I bought a flintlock, and a T/C New Englander from him before he left. The New Englander came with not only the standard 50 cal 1:48 twist barrel, but a 12 ga shotgun barrel too.

Just saying, if you ask around you may well find what you're looking for.

sasmojoe

The only thing i’ve ever won at NWTF banquet was a muzzleloader shotgun. Never shot it, took it to gun shop and swapped it for Browning Buckmark 22 pistol.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The only thing i’ve ever won at NWTF banquet was a muzzleloader shotgun. Never shot it, took it to gun shop and swapped it for Browning Buckmark 22 pistol.
Good swap!

ky55

I built one of the Navy Arms 12 sxs from a kit back in the early ‘70’s………
They were a dime a dozen back then.
I didn’t have very many dimes.

Supercracker

I'm a cheap gun guy. .............. I've always wanted a true muzzleloading sxs.

Well, if you can work around the "cheap" part, it's not out of the question to find a shootable original percussion gun. They were produced by the shipload for a couple of decades. You just have to be real careful and know what to look for to get a safe one.

I hunt birds with an original Belgian percussion gun all the time. Or, at least I did back when I had free time. lol