Anyone ever seen this ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
This is hunter/masons buck from Alabama , I posted in his other thread for him but figured a new one may get more attention , I personally have never seen something like this before , but have seen some that are hard , he said this had the feel of a deer’s brain 9DE3EB68-3742-4326-AC6F-8CB77E7C876B.jpegA917370B-E432-486D-9F5D-5CE20D7C91E1.jpeg

Silent Assassin

This is hunter/masons buck from Alabama , I posted in his other thread for him but figured a new one may get more attention , I personally have never seen something like this before , but have seen some that are hard , he said this had the feel of a deer’s brain View attachment 957316View attachment 957317

It is a pedicle injury. Happens frequently with bucks. Might have grown back normal next year or might have grown a crazy side to his rack.

Hunter/Mason

Both sides are normal. They aged him at 3 1/2 but and he looked healthy I didn’t see any injuries. Live weight was only 139lbs, that’s was the only strange thing to me. Also it’s not hard either

antharper

Staff member
I told hunter / mason he’s probably just inbred .... you was hunting in Alabama u know !

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
If y'all take the hide off the out side let us know yay or nay if there's bone injury on the outside

buckpasser

Maybe that antler was recently “hyperextended” during a fight fracturing the intersection of the pedicle and the skull plate to the point of developing a cyst at the point of injury?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Looks like a cracked skull cap to me.
Zoom in. Never seen the “whatever that is” though. Need an expert on that one.

antharper

Staff member
Looks like a cracked skull cap to me.
Zoom in. Never seen the “whatever that is” though. Need an expert on that one.
I noticed that also , I haven’t seen it personally , hunter/mason was just having problems getting pics to post on here and sent them to me

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve got a deer skull with a perfect round hole in it and with broken tines. I believe he fought often and mean. It’s the size of a qtip without the cotton. Clear through to the brain top center between the antlers and only skin and hide was protective. It’s not a cracked skull. Didn’t notice it till I boiled it. Should of been solid bone there.
Other deer skulls don’t have it that I compared it to.
Hole in the head similar to what freshwater oscars get I guessed.

And I found an article about deer abscesses in brains in which it says weight loss is common and not to eat.
Hunter/mason buck is an early sign of that and would have a non typical antler next season if it survived.
Google hole in the head deer and you can find all kinds of nasty...

buckpasser

I doubt it would have any effect on the quality of the meat. I’ve only turned them down when they have an old bullet wound in them, but it’s obvious the meat is rank in that case. I’ve killed quite a few with screwed up wounded heads that were in pretty bad shape due to fighting. Fall is a rough time for a buck that’s tying to become a pappy.

Hunter/Mason

He was chasing a doe fast as he could go when I shot him, he wasn’t sick or poor looking. He’s already at the processor with the other 6 that came back to ga. The other 3 went to orange beach with my dad. So we’ll never know if the meat is bad or not I guess. I’m gonna cut it tomorrow, just got done with paperwork so it’s too late to mess with it tonight.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
He was chasing a doe fast as he could go when I shot him, he wasn’t sick or poor looking. He’s already at the processor with the other 6 that came back to ga. The other 3 went to orange beach with my dad. So we’ll never know if the meat is bad or not I guess. I’m gonna cut it tomorrow, just got done with paperwork so it’s too late to mess with it tonight.

You gotta think 99.99999999% of deer meat is perfect when processed quickly. It’s the .000000001 that get us.

Your own eyes and mouth will tell you to eat it or spit it out.