Anyone ever used a thermal device to find a deer

shdw633

I am thinking about getting either a FLIR Scout or a Seek Compact Pro as I am color blind and really have trouble tracking deer after the shot, especially at night. Has anyone ever used a thermal to track a wounded deer? Has anyone used one of these thermal products and if so what do you think about it.

uturn

There is a post somewhere on here that a fella posted a picture thru his iPhone of one that he bought that attached to his iPhone or Android...seemed like around a couples hundred bucks it was and looked like it was pretty cool and worked quite well at a 100 yds or less.

Not sure if that helps but, it was the 1st I saw on that subject.

Seems like it would be very handy at times!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Snookpimpin

my brother has the seek unit for his phone. we have not used it for tracking deer yet since he got it for x mas but you could see the neighbors dogs across a 10 acre field

shdw633

my brother has the seek unit for his phone. we have not used it for tracking deer yet since he got it for x mas but you could see the neighbors dogs across a 10 acre field

What htz is it? 9, 15 or 30 htz if you don't mind me asking?

shdw633

I didn’t keep the picture but I’ve tried it at 200 yards and they show the same

Have you used it to find or track blood after the shot at all? Also, what model seek do you have? Different htz's for each model from what I am can tell.

Arrow Flinger

Im looking at the box and don't see a model number. I have not used it on a blood trail but it will be with me on the next one.

shdw633

Im looking at the box and don't see a model number. I have not used it on a blood trail but it will be with me on the next one.

Thanks Arrow Flinger, I appreciate the information and pictures. I will probably have one before the season starts. This pics were a big help in determining what it can see and how far out.

1982ace

I haven’t seen it for myself, but a customer of mine bought a Milwaukee infrared gun battery powered just to use for trailing.

HuntinDawg89

Have you used it to find or track blood after the shot at all? Also, what model seek do you have? Different htz's for each model from what I am can tell.

No experience & just my opinion, but I would not think it would help you find blood at all. The blood is going to go to ambient temperature pretty fast. I could definitely see it helping you find the downed animal though. I can think of a couple of times when it could have helped me tremendously.

davidhelmly

No experience & just my opinion, but I would not think it would help you find blood at all. The blood is going to go to ambient temperature pretty fast. I could definitely see it helping you find the downed animal though. I can think of a couple of times when it could have helped me tremendously.

That would make the most sense to me too, I can see where it could definitely help in a tough recovery.