Anyone fish at Standing Indian Campground?

Yankee in GA

My wife was asking me to find a cool place to camp in October. I noticed this place had the Nantahala river flowing right through it. I booked a site and we’ll see what happens. I haven’t fished for trout in a while so I was curious if anyone here had been there.

GTIE94

My wife was asking me to find a cool place to camp in October. I noticed this place had the Nantahala river flowing right through it. I booked a site and we’ll see what happens. I haven’t fished for trout in a while so I was curious if anyone here had been there.

It's been a couple of years, but I hiked the trail a mile or so below the campground area and fished my way back up. As those are the headwaters of the Nantahala, the river (creek) is pretty small and easy to wade. I caught mostly rainbows in the 4-6 inch category, but I picked up a few in the 8-10 range. Fished dries and dry-droppers (late Spring trip). All in all a good time, and the camping area is fantastic (if you're car camping or have an actual camper). Definitely worth hiking down there. I'd bring bear spray, too - better safe than sorry.

flyrod444

Below campground to kimsey Creek that flows in to stream just above bridge to camp ground is great water. I've caught several browns in the 14" range there over the years. Right at dark some big fish can be caught on dry flies.

splatek

UAEC
Not sure of water conditions, but it has been good to me in the past. If you can take the hike, elevation wise, don't overlook the feeder creeks.

flyrod444

I've seen a few bears in standing Indian and they all turned and ran tearing up brush as they went. I have always felt that anywhere they have hunting pressure they become scared of humans which is a good thing. The park is about they only place a worry any about them and a do carry lead bear spray there as a precaution. I've had them walk up within 50 feet and then just walk off there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You aren't likely to encounter an aggressive bear on national forest land such as that. Those bears are hunted, and they don't like people at all. The only bears that I am wary of are national park and urban bears, both of which often have no fear of humans.

splatek

UAEC
You aren't likely to encounter an aggressive bear on national forest land such as that. Those bears are hunted, and they don't like people at all. The only bears that I am wary of are national park and urban bears, both of which often have no fear of humans.

Wish I'd find a bear with no fear of running into arrows...

dfutato

I was up there for the first time the weekend before last. The water was low and seemed to have a slight tannic stain. I had pretty good luck fishing dries for 3-9" wild bows and browns. Beautiful place for sure. Didn't see any bears. ;)