Anyone go to the Rome public hearing tonight?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
read My post again ,where did I say baiting caused CWD to appear spontaneously in a herd? I said its coming sooner than later and Baiting and feeding wildlife will be banned statewide . It will most likely come from a illegally imported deer that some one brings into Ga.

The DNR board will decide if, when and where feeding will be banned and according to 27-3-9 it can only be banned FOR DEER in the county where the positive result occurred and the counties bordering it. There are also time periods on the restriction. It's not like a CWD case is found and the next day feeding deer would suddenly be banned statewide

Last edited:

lampern

Unless the law is changed. NC has a similar provision.

NC has also made it illegal to feed or use processed foods at any time.

20 years ago CWD wasn’t in the southeast

That is the difference.

Rulo

Hosting a public hearing is expensive and time consuming for those complaining about only 2 meetings

Hahaha! In this state? Are you kidding me.....? Ever look at Georgia Medicaid and the waste and corruption that goes on in this state of taxpayers dollars on a daily basis? This is a dirty, poorly run, corrupt state. Good ol boys! and I am not talking just DNR.........DNR is government owned. The cost of these meetings is hardly a concern for DNR......

They are simply conducting these meetings to be able to say ......see, we did public hearings and blah blah blah.....baiting is now legal.

Ive said this before.....now that baiting will be legal, and you can shoot 10 does and 2 bucks.............what do we need DNR Law Enforcement for?

Arent they (DNR) in the throws of hiring a bunch of GWs? Why? Do we need all of them? What are they going to Police? With the passing of baiting inevitable we dont need nearly as many GWs as they have now. So hire more? For what? To justify an overinflated budget? To get rid of tax payers money for a "worthy cause" in the eyes of the legislators? And your worried about 2 meetings breaking DNRs back?

Whats left for them(DNR Law Enforcement) to do? Trespassing issues? (BTW hats off to DNR when you call them on trespassing issues) but couldn't that be handled by a county deputy? For that matter and in your line of thinking.....with money and DNRs budget being an issue and all with these public hearings.................how about the state doing away with DNR Law Enforcement and giving each county a stipend to fund a deputy to handle GW job duties?

Think about all the bureaucracy that comes with DNR.......the Majors, the Captains, the secretaries, the facilities, the vehicles, the helicopter....... blah blah blah.................talk about duplication of positions!

And now with baiting being legalized statewide...........one has to ask ........what is DNR Law Enforcement going to be tasked to do?

I know what I am going to do.....walk across the parking lot to my state reps office, hand him a letter expressing my concerns of DNR and its budget and make recommendations!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Unless the law is changed. NC has a similar provision.

NC has also made it illegal to feed or use processed foods at any time.

20 years ago CWD wasn’t in the southeast

That is the difference.

You have been posting in these theeads. You have seen how difficult bait laws can be to change one way or another. CWD has been part of the debate the entire time. In fact the part in the law about banning feeding was put in the law in 2011 BECAUSE OF CWD. It wasn't there before.

This entire debate isn't about "legalizing bait" it's about removing the 200 yard circle around a feed pile in part of the state FOR DEER

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Seems most of the people that attended are in favor of baiting 126 out of 133 people, just about like the survey Gon done , so what’s that tell u !

shdw633

Corn unnaturally concentrates deer

Deer congregate naturally, especially does. Deer congregate naturally as bucks run together in groups until the rut separates them. I have seen fields with hundreds of deer in them at one time during the winter grouped together feeding. Your statement is false because deer already congregate together under other natural sources like acorn and persimmon trees, farm fields, scrapes, watering holes and licking branches. Deer are browsers a may eat off the same vegitation that others have already eaten off, like a muscadine vine, crabapple tree, dewberry bush or honeysuckle.

Many states that have never allowed baiting yet they have high numbers of CWD cases, like Illinois. You know what will happen if CWD comes to Georgia in regards to hunting.....nothing. Just like all the other states that have it. Does it stop hunters in Illinois...no, Iowa...no, Missouri....no, Kansas....no, Michigan....no. Have you seen anyone stop hunting mule deer or elk in Colorado....no, how about Wyoming, Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Alberta, Utah, New York, West Virginia, Virginia, North Dakota, Pennsylvania or Texas.........NO. A lot of those states I just mentioned are still deer hunting meccas for most hunters and yet some of these states have had CWD for nearly 20 years. If I was a biologist I wouldn't want CWD in my state, after all who would want to have to deal with that as your job, but if it comes to Georgia hunters will just keep hunting, just like they do now.

Buckman18

Georgia needs to do two things:

1) Legalize baiting year round. We feed deer from mid January to the end of August. I guess deer would contract cwd only when the feed turns into bait?

2) Significantly and substantially INCREASE non resident hunting license fees! We have 10,000,000 residents now, and, unfortunately, are the 8th most populated state now. We have enough transplants and visitors. Time to make more money and cull a lot of them out.

gabowman

Our liscenses much be pretty cheap as we have out-of-staters POURING in here from our north and east every year. They take ALOT of deer out too. AND....they buy corn from Walmart.;)

Buckman18

Our liscenses much be pretty cheap as we have out-of-staters POURING in here from our north and east every year. They take ALOT of deer out too. AND....they buy corn from Walmart.;)

Don’t forget the south. Too many yankee-Floridians infiltrate our state. And then they start talking, problem is they never stop talking. Then they get into our governments, local and state. These people do NOT have our interest in mind, nor do they share our values or culture. Many of the native Floridians are ok, BUT... they let their own state get over run with yankee transplants and illegal immigrants.

shdw633

they let their own state get over run with yankee transplants and illegal immigrants.

And they are all headed your way. How do you think you got to the 8th most populated!!

gabowman

I guess after baiting becomes legal and all the deer either gets shot or dead from CWD all the transplants and bordering states' hunters will have to go elsewhere.:(

:):):)

GeorgiaPineHunter

Hahaha! In this state? Are you kidding me.....? Ever look at Georgia Medicaid and the waste and corruption that goes on in this state of taxpayers dollars on a daily basis? This is a dirty, poorly run, corrupt state. Good ol boys! and I am not talking just DNR.........DNR is government owned. The cost of these meetings is hardly a concern for DNR......

They are simply conducting these meetings to be able to say ......see, we did public hearings and blah blah blah.....baiting is now legal.

Ive said this before.....now that baiting will be legal, and you can shoot 10 does and 2 bucks.............what do we need DNR Law Enforcement for?

Arent they (DNR) in the throws of hiring a bunch of GWs? Why? Do we need all of them? What are they going to Police? With the passing of baiting inevitable we dont need nearly as many GWs as they have now. So hire more? For what? To justify an overinflated budget? To get rid of tax payers money for a "worthy cause" in the eyes of the legislators? And your worried about 2 meetings breaking DNRs back?

Whats left for them(DNR Law Enforcement) to do? Trespassing issues? (BTW hats off to DNR when you call them on trespassing issues) but couldn't that be handled by a county deputy? For that matter and in your line of thinking.....with money and DNRs budget being an issue and all with these public hearings.................how about the state doing away with DNR Law Enforcement and giving each county a stipend to fund a deputy to handle GW job duties?

Think about all the bureaucracy that comes with DNR.......the Majors, the Captains, the secretaries, the facilities, the vehicles, the helicopter....... blah blah blah.................talk about duplication of positions!

And now with baiting being legalized statewide...........one has to ask ........what is DNR Law Enforcement going to be tasked to do?

I know what I am going to do.....walk across the parking lot to my state reps office, hand him a letter expressing my concerns of DNR and its budget and make recommendations!

You do realize that Game Wardens don't just work during deer season to write baiting tickets, correct?

Smokepoler

Just curios,has CWD shown up in states that do not allow Deer Farms/High Fence hunting?

44magpastor

Hunting directly over bait is already legal in the southern zone
Feeding deer is already legal, all year, statewide
Planting/Hunting over food plots is legal, statewide

But GWF opposes baiting in North Ga, due to CWD concerns. I can't convey how incredibly stupid that position is.

The "unnatural concentration issue" is laughable. If concentration is the concern, the origin of the concentrating substance is irrelevant.

Are deer around a white oak tree at less risk, than those over a corn pile?

Smh

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You have been posting in these theeads. You have seen how difficult bait laws can be to change one way or another. CWD has been part of the debate the entire time. In fact the part in the law about banning feeding was put in the law in 2011 BECAUSE OF CWD. It wasn't there before.

This entire debate isn't about "legalizing bait" it's about removing the 200 yard circle around a feed pile in part of the state FOR DEER
People don't want to talk about what the real issue is."Why can't I do what Jonnie deer hunter does in Grady County"?