Anyone going to P.C FLA in April or May?

kirby

:whip:Me and a few buddies are going to our yearly trip to Panama city in late april into may. We always take the camper to the park and stay a few days. I was wondering if anyone else is going down then. Last year we went and we caught some fish. We fish the bay and also go out past the jetties and some of the wrecks.

kirby

I went last july and we caught some, we were trolling. I was nice but we couldn't figure out what bait to use.

captbrian

i'll be here then. just give me a holler before you get here, and i'll give you a report, and get you pointed in the right direction.

jamessig

trolling live bait in July

Cobia should be around in that time frame. Cruise off the beach and look for them. A bucktail/cobia jig will catch a lot of them, eels are the #1 primo live baits, but cobia usually aren't too picky. Any live baitfish will probably get their attention. Here's a great post I read recently on cobia.
http://pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic39200-20-1.aspx

If you can get some live cigar minnows, trolling them behind a duster in the summer/late spring ought be a sure thing. If you have a downrigger, run one deep. If you don't have a downrigger you might think about using a diving planer board, there are several brands from about 10 bucks on up. Try it once and you'll see it's worth it. If you go the planer board route, use some fairly sturdy main line, and braid would be a really good fit here, in the #40+ range. Terminal tackle should be wire, #3 or so. Go slow!! If there are any kings around it won't take long.

Last edited:

99Roadking

Not April or May. I heading down this weekend till Tuesday.
Anybody got advice for catching a few from shore?

captbrian

Not April or May. I heading down this weekend till Tuesday.
Anybody got advice for catching a few from shore?

the reds are in the pass, you can fish from the jetties. might can pick a few sheepshead off there as well, if you can find the live shrimp.

jamessig

now

You might also see some bonita off the jetties, a bubble and straw rig should get you some action. Bluefish are probably around too, toss a plug or spoon. Pompano are in the surf, look for washouts, fresh peeled shrimp would be your best bet.

99Roadking

Sorry about the hijack kirby. I'll bounce it back to the top for ya.
Thanks capt and james.

jeremy mccollough

me and a group of fellas go down in the first of may to destin on a 32 hour charter with olin marler's group usually some good fishing ...we're looking to go out to the oil rigs to do some fishing this year ...if any of ya'll have been out to the oil rigs doing some fishing let me know how good or bad it was so we can know ...

captbrian

if you're fishing the rigs for tuna, you can expect a lot of blackfins, and hopefully several yellowfins. i've fished the rigs and caught blackfins on every cast with slab-spoons. it's an amazing sight at night if you've never done it, and to have a 100# yellowfin hit a topwater plug at night is indescribable!

some of the shallow water rigs produce some hefty amberjacks, snapper, and grouper.

either way, capt. marler hasn't been in business for decades by not catching fish.

JoeyWommack

Not to derail the thread but the rigs from the pass in P.C. is a haul and a half!

Late April and early May in PC is the best time of the year!!
COBIA!!
and pompano.

Gitterdone

we go to panama beach alot.you might of seen us there,boat name is( GITTERDONE)We go on average once a month.Had 7 cobia last season 3in springbreak and 4 2nd weak of may.Mays fish were 32;42;48;and52lbs.Cant wait til spring.