Anyone here flyfish for Carp?

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i have and it is an incredible sight fishing experience. i am not very good at it though and when carp are tailing around me i usually grab my bow instead........ i will try again this spring though !!!!

slightly grayling

I have hooked into carp in my Father's farm pond and they are fun. I hooked into a 15+ lb with a 5 wt and landed him but it takes patience!

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
The Orvis shop in Rainbow City, AL has booked trips in the past for carp, and was getting to be pretty big over that way on some of the warmer bama waters. I caught one a few years back and all I can say is, I never had a trout take me into the backing as quick as that fish did!

hammerz71

Have hooked into a few by accident, usually fishing for bream. Most have broken me off, but I've landed a few.
Never really gave a thought to fly fish specifically for carp. When I was younger, I'd make dough balls made primarily with corn meal & molasses and fish for 'em on medium/light spinning tackle. They are a blast and some of the larger ones will flat wear you out...

loadshot

I fished for them on the passaic river here in jersey. They take many type of flys the one I like best is a mullberry fly I tie. If you have one those trees down there find one and try to fish around it.To tie this fly use some purple wool and bunch it up to look like one, and HOLD ON

GA1dad

While I was in Indiana working this fall, I went fishing in the local creek/river. Keep in mind, I'm not a fly fisherman, but I do fly fish on occasion. This was one of those occasions.

The creek ran between 2 bean fields, and I started catching bream from the bridge that went over it. The water was about one foot deep at the deepest hole. After catching a few bream, I noticed what looked like a submarine swimming upstream towards me. At first I thought it was a fat channel cat, maybe 8 or 9 pounds. Suddenly it saw me and turned back downstream. When it turned, I recognized it as a carp. I cast to it a few times, with a couple of different flies,,,,,, no dice. I snagged a bean pod from the field and attatched a bean to the flie and tossed it out in front of the fish. Dang fish got the bean off before I could snag it. I tried the bean idea a couple of more times with the same results. It just wouldn't stay on the hook long enough to catch the fish. I walked to the truck to see if there was anything in it that might interest a carp. The only thing I found was a half a pack of Starburst fruit chews. "Why not,,,,, you never know",, I reasoned. I took a orange flavored one and cut it in half. Half went on the hook, and half in my mouth as I headed down to the creek. I lobbed it out just upstream of the fish and let it lay. It didn't take long and the fish started towards it. It was obvious that the carp could taste the orange in the water and was on a search for the source. Believe it or not, the carp "instantly" sucked in the bait, and a very short battle began. It took the fish all of 30 seconds to break the leader and fin downstream to safety. Realizing that my equipment was not up to the challenge. I just packed up and went home with a huge smile on my face. I couldn't believe that such a silly idea worked. Just goes to show,,,,,,,,, be adaptable.